Jun 5, 2012, 12:14 AM EDT
In Montreal, what’s old is new again.
That appeared to be the case late Monday night as TSN’s Darren Dreger reported Montreal GM Marc Bergevin planned to hire former Habs coach Michel Therrien as his new bench boss.
Dreger says the announcement will come within the next 24-48 hours, meaning the Canadiens might wait until the end of the Stanley Cup finals to present Therrien as the 31st coach in franchise history.
The LA Kings, up 3-0 in the Cup finals, can close out the series with a win on Wednesday night.
Therrien broke into NHL coaching in 2000 with the Canadiens, taking over for Alain Vigneault and orchestrating a 16-point increase (and playoff appearance) in his second season at the helm. He was fired in 2003.
Following the lockout, Pittsbugh tabbed Therrien to coach its young, inexperienced squad, highlighted by then-rookie forward Sidney Crosby. The team showed steady improvement under Therrien from 2005-06 onward, highlighted by a trip to the Stanley Cup finals in 2008.
Therrien was fired by the Penguins 57 games into the 2008-09 season and was replaced by Pittsburgh’s current head coach, Dan Bylsma.
Therrien’s known as a tough, no-nonsense coach that will, ahem, speak his mind:
It’s an interesting hire to be sure. Therrien will join the likes of Newsy Lalonde, Leo Dandurand, Cecil Hart, Claude Ruel and Bob Gainey as two-term Canadiens coaches with only one player — Andrei Markov — remaining from Therrien’s first stint in Montreal.
Update (8:55 a.m. ET): Done deal. Canadiens officially name Therrien their new head coach.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)