Jun 5, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
O’Donnell has stated he’d like to continue playing next season — he’ll be 41 in October — but according to Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago, it doesn’t sound as though he’ll be back in the Windy City.
“There are no hard feelings, but I think it’s one and done,” O’Donnell said of tenure in Chicago. “I saw a situation where I thought I could help the Blackhawks. It didn’t quite work.”
O’Donnell signed a one-year, $825,000 deal with the ‘Hawks last summer in the hopes of adding depth to the blueline as a third-pairing guy. Then plan never came to fruition — he played just 51 regular season games and two playoff contests — but the 19-year veteran figures he can still play in the league.
“I would like to play; I think I showed I can still play in the right circumstance,” O’Donnell said. “Maybe I’m not even an 82-game guy or a 20-minute guy. But the right fit, a good system…hopefully I can play.”
It’ll be interesting to see if O’Donnell has any takers. In 2010-11, he was a key contributor to the Flyers, appearing in all 82 games (and all 11 in the playoffs) while recording 18 points — the second-highest total of his career.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)