Jun 5, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
O’Donnell has stated he’d like to continue playing next season — he’ll be 41 in October — but according to Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago, it doesn’t sound as though he’ll be back in the Windy City.
“There are no hard feelings, but I think it’s one and done,” O’Donnell said of tenure in Chicago. “I saw a situation where I thought I could help the Blackhawks. It didn’t quite work.”
O’Donnell signed a one-year, $825,000 deal with the ‘Hawks last summer in the hopes of adding depth to the blueline as a third-pairing guy. Then plan never came to fruition — he played just 51 regular season games and two playoff contests — but the 19-year veteran figures he can still play in the league.
“I would like to play; I think I showed I can still play in the right circumstance,” O’Donnell said. “Maybe I’m not even an 82-game guy or a 20-minute guy. But the right fit, a good system…hopefully I can play.”
It’ll be interesting to see if O’Donnell has any takers. In 2010-11, he was a key contributor to the Flyers, appearing in all 82 games (and all 11 in the playoffs) while recording 18 points — the second-highest total of his career.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)