Jun 5, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
For a lot of hardcore fans, it’s natural to get attached to local announcers. Many Los Angeles Kings fans have that connection with Bob Miller and John Fox, so it’s reasonable that they might want to hear what they’d say if the Kings win their first Stanley Cup. Helene Elliott reports that the Kings found a way to make that happen.
Club executives have been working on a solution that would respect complicated broadcast rights issues involving the league and NBC and also allow fans to hear Miller and Fox describe a possible Cup triumph. A solution apparently is at hand.
Mike Altieri, the vice president of communications and broadcasting for AEG Sports, said that starting on Wednesday — the team’s first chance to win the Stanley Cup — and going forward if the Cup Final continues past Game 4, Miller and Fox will record a call of each game.
Elliott points to at least two possible scenarios that might make it work. An announcement could be made on the Kings’ Web site or the calls could be included on a team DVD. (Talk about an awesome DVD-extra.)
The New Jersey Devils will do whatever they can to make this story a weird one to read in retrospect, by the way.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)