Jun 5, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
For a lot of hardcore fans, it’s natural to get attached to local announcers. Many Los Angeles Kings fans have that connection with Bob Miller and John Fox, so it’s reasonable that they might want to hear what they’d say if the Kings win their first Stanley Cup. Helene Elliott reports that the Kings found a way to make that happen.
Club executives have been working on a solution that would respect complicated broadcast rights issues involving the league and NBC and also allow fans to hear Miller and Fox describe a possible Cup triumph. A solution apparently is at hand.
Mike Altieri, the vice president of communications and broadcasting for AEG Sports, said that starting on Wednesday — the team’s first chance to win the Stanley Cup — and going forward if the Cup Final continues past Game 4, Miller and Fox will record a call of each game.
Elliott points to at least two possible scenarios that might make it work. An announcement could be made on the Kings’ Web site or the calls could be included on a team DVD. (Talk about an awesome DVD-extra.)
The New Jersey Devils will do whatever they can to make this story a weird one to read in retrospect, by the way.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 7
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 5
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 48
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?