Jun 5, 2012, 4:39 PM EST
What should be an interesting contract negotiation is reportedly set to begin in Ottawa between the Senators and star defenseman Erik Karlsson.
“We had a meeting with our staff yesterday and part of our discussion was how we approach (the talks),” Sens GM Bryan Murray said, as per QMI. “We’ve had informal conversations but that’s all. Now, we’ve got to get going on term and what we think is fair from our point. We’ll have to find out what they think and where we can go dollar-wise.
“We’ll get started within the next week, if not earlier.”
So what do you pay a 22-year-old restricted free agent like Karlsson? It’s a tough question, because there haven’t been many 22-year-old restricted free agents like Karlsson. If there’s a comparable, it could be Tyler Myers, the Buffalo defenseman that signed a seven-year, $38.5 million extension in September ($5.5 million cap hit).
Sens owner Eugene Melnyk has said “it has to be within a reasonable budget.”
Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen figures Melnyk will have to “open the vault,” possibly to the tune of $6 million per season on a long-term deal.
Murray has a ton of cap space to work with; however, the Sens aren’t a team that spends to the cap — something Filip Kuba learned recently.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)