Jun 5, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
What should be an interesting contract negotiation is reportedly set to begin in Ottawa between the Senators and star defenseman Erik Karlsson.
“We had a meeting with our staff yesterday and part of our discussion was how we approach (the talks),” Sens GM Bryan Murray said, as per QMI. “We’ve had informal conversations but that’s all. Now, we’ve got to get going on term and what we think is fair from our point. We’ll have to find out what they think and where we can go dollar-wise.
“We’ll get started within the next week, if not earlier.”
So what do you pay a 22-year-old restricted free agent like Karlsson? It’s a tough question, because there haven’t been many 22-year-old restricted free agents like Karlsson. If there’s a comparable, it could be Tyler Myers, the Buffalo defenseman that signed a seven-year, $38.5 million extension in September ($5.5 million cap hit).
Sens owner Eugene Melnyk has said “it has to be within a reasonable budget.”
Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen figures Melnyk will have to “open the vault,” possibly to the tune of $6 million per season on a long-term deal.
Murray has a ton of cap space to work with; however, the Sens aren’t a team that spends to the cap — something Filip Kuba learned recently.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 9
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 86
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (86)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)