Jun 5, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The 2013 Winter Classic between the Red Wings and Leafs goes Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, but downtown Detroit will also play a major role in the festivities.
Today, the Red Wings announced a preliminary schedule of events for what they’re calling the Hockeytown Winter Festival at Comerica Park, the home of the Detroit Tigers.
Dec. 15-26: Celebration of hockey featuring amateur games, corporate outings and open skates.
Dec. 27-31: Outdoor festival featuring interactive games, autograph signings, face painting and ice sculpture exhibits as well as musical performances and entertainment.
Dec. 27-28: Great Lakes Invitational featuring the Michigan Wolverines, Michigan State Spartans, Western Michigan Broncos and Michigan Tech Huskies all competing for the 2012 MacInnes Cup.
Dec. 29: Ontario Hockey League doubleheader featuring the Windsor Spitfires taking on the Saginaw Spirit, and the Plymouth Whalers battling the J. Ross Robertson Cup champion London Knights.
Dec. 30: American Hockey League game featuring the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, AHL affiliates of the Red Wings and Maple Leafs, respectively.
Dec. 31: Red Wings-Maple Leafs Alumni Showdown featuring legendary players from two of the National Hockey League’s most storied franchises going head-to-head.
The alumni game will be the feature attraction – could Nicklas Lidstrom make an appearance? – though the Great Lakes Invitational should be a lot of fun, too. Maybe PHT will show up for some Frank the Tanking with the college kids.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (73)