Jun 5, 2012, 12:59 PM EST
The 2013 Winter Classic between the Red Wings and Leafs goes Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, but downtown Detroit will also play a major role in the festivities.
Today, the Red Wings announced a preliminary schedule of events for what they’re calling the Hockeytown Winter Festival at Comerica Park, the home of the Detroit Tigers.
Dec. 15-26: Celebration of hockey featuring amateur games, corporate outings and open skates.
Dec. 27-31: Outdoor festival featuring interactive games, autograph signings, face painting and ice sculpture exhibits as well as musical performances and entertainment.
Dec. 27-28: Great Lakes Invitational featuring the Michigan Wolverines, Michigan State Spartans, Western Michigan Broncos and Michigan Tech Huskies all competing for the 2012 MacInnes Cup.
Dec. 29: Ontario Hockey League doubleheader featuring the Windsor Spitfires taking on the Saginaw Spirit, and the Plymouth Whalers battling the J. Ross Robertson Cup champion London Knights.
Dec. 30: American Hockey League game featuring the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, AHL affiliates of the Red Wings and Maple Leafs, respectively.
Dec. 31: Red Wings-Maple Leafs Alumni Showdown featuring legendary players from two of the National Hockey League’s most storied franchises going head-to-head.
The alumni game will be the feature attraction – could Nicklas Lidstrom make an appearance? – though the Great Lakes Invitational should be a lot of fun, too. Maybe PHT will show up for some Frank the Tanking with the college kids.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 20
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 33
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 16
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)