Jun 5, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
A significant day behind the bench and in the front office of the Carolina Hurricanes on Tursday, as a number of announcements were made on the hockey operations front.
Ron Francis, who is entering his seventh season in the team’s front office, has been promoted to Vice President of Hockey Operations. Jason Karmanos, in his 15th year with the Hurricanes, is now Executive Vice President and Assistant General Manager. Rod Brind’Amour joined the team’s front office in 2010, and will serve as a full-time Assistant Coach in 2012-13. Assistant Coach Dave Lewis and Director of Defensemen Development Glen Wesley also each received contract extensions.
Former Hurricane Cory Stillman has joined the organization, taking the position of Director of Forwards Development previously held by Brind’Amour.
Greg Stefan, 51, rejoins the Hurricanes’ coaching staff as Goalie Coach. Tom Barrasso, who served as an assistant coach for the Hurricanes last season, will remain with the team as a pro scout.
As for what it all means…
– This could bee seen as another step in Francis potentially succeeding Jim Rutherford as ‘Canes GM. Rutherford’s 63 and the longest-tenured GM in the league, dating back to 1994, and Francis is considered one of the better GM candidates in the league.
– Carolina has compiled a ton of experience in the coaching ranks. Ex-players include head coach Kirk Muller, Brind’Amour, Stillman, Wesley and Barasso; ex-head coaches include Lewis and John MacLean.
– Interesting note here from Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer about the Stefan hire: “Been much talk in past few years about how well Cam Ward and Tom Barrasso worked together. So that now changes.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)