Jun 5, 2012, 4:02 PM EST
A significant day behind the bench and in the front office of the Carolina Hurricanes on Tursday, as a number of announcements were made on the hockey operations front.
Ron Francis, who is entering his seventh season in the team’s front office, has been promoted to Vice President of Hockey Operations. Jason Karmanos, in his 15th year with the Hurricanes, is now Executive Vice President and Assistant General Manager. Rod Brind’Amour joined the team’s front office in 2010, and will serve as a full-time Assistant Coach in 2012-13. Assistant Coach Dave Lewis and Director of Defensemen Development Glen Wesley also each received contract extensions.
Former Hurricane Cory Stillman has joined the organization, taking the position of Director of Forwards Development previously held by Brind’Amour.
Greg Stefan, 51, rejoins the Hurricanes’ coaching staff as Goalie Coach. Tom Barrasso, who served as an assistant coach for the Hurricanes last season, will remain with the team as a pro scout.
As for what it all means…
— This could bee seen as another step in Francis potentially succeeding Jim Rutherford as ‘Canes GM. Rutherford’s 63 and the longest-tenured GM in the league, dating back to 1994, and Francis is considered one of the better GM candidates in the league.
— Carolina has compiled a ton of experience in the coaching ranks. Ex-players include head coach Kirk Muller, Brind’Amour, Stillman, Wesley and Barasso; ex-head coaches include Lewis and John MacLean.
— Interesting note here from Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer about the Stefan hire: “Been much talk in past few years about how well Cam Ward and Tom Barrasso worked together. So that now changes.”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)