Jun 5, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
A significant day behind the bench and in the front office of the Carolina Hurricanes on Tursday, as a number of announcements were made on the hockey operations front.
Ron Francis, who is entering his seventh season in the team’s front office, has been promoted to Vice President of Hockey Operations. Jason Karmanos, in his 15th year with the Hurricanes, is now Executive Vice President and Assistant General Manager. Rod Brind’Amour joined the team’s front office in 2010, and will serve as a full-time Assistant Coach in 2012-13. Assistant Coach Dave Lewis and Director of Defensemen Development Glen Wesley also each received contract extensions.
Former Hurricane Cory Stillman has joined the organization, taking the position of Director of Forwards Development previously held by Brind’Amour.
Greg Stefan, 51, rejoins the Hurricanes’ coaching staff as Goalie Coach. Tom Barrasso, who served as an assistant coach for the Hurricanes last season, will remain with the team as a pro scout.
As for what it all means…
— This could bee seen as another step in Francis potentially succeeding Jim Rutherford as ‘Canes GM. Rutherford’s 63 and the longest-tenured GM in the league, dating back to 1994, and Francis is considered one of the better GM candidates in the league.
— Carolina has compiled a ton of experience in the coaching ranks. Ex-players include head coach Kirk Muller, Brind’Amour, Stillman, Wesley and Barasso; ex-head coaches include Lewis and John MacLean.
— Interesting note here from Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer about the Stefan hire: “Been much talk in past few years about how well Cam Ward and Tom Barrasso worked together. So that now changes.”
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (92)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)