Jun 5, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
A significant day behind the bench and in the front office of the Carolina Hurricanes on Tursday, as a number of announcements were made on the hockey operations front.
Ron Francis, who is entering his seventh season in the team’s front office, has been promoted to Vice President of Hockey Operations. Jason Karmanos, in his 15th year with the Hurricanes, is now Executive Vice President and Assistant General Manager. Rod Brind’Amour joined the team’s front office in 2010, and will serve as a full-time Assistant Coach in 2012-13. Assistant Coach Dave Lewis and Director of Defensemen Development Glen Wesley also each received contract extensions.
Former Hurricane Cory Stillman has joined the organization, taking the position of Director of Forwards Development previously held by Brind’Amour.
Greg Stefan, 51, rejoins the Hurricanes’ coaching staff as Goalie Coach. Tom Barrasso, who served as an assistant coach for the Hurricanes last season, will remain with the team as a pro scout.
As for what it all means…
– This could bee seen as another step in Francis potentially succeeding Jim Rutherford as ‘Canes GM. Rutherford’s 63 and the longest-tenured GM in the league, dating back to 1994, and Francis is considered one of the better GM candidates in the league.
– Carolina has compiled a ton of experience in the coaching ranks. Ex-players include head coach Kirk Muller, Brind’Amour, Stillman, Wesley and Barasso; ex-head coaches include Lewis and John MacLean.
– Interesting note here from Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News and Observer about the Stefan hire: “Been much talk in past few years about how well Cam Ward and Tom Barrasso worked together. So that now changes.”
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona