Jun 5, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
“From galvanized to polarized in one short month.”
That’s how Dave Stubbs describes the mood regarding Marc Bergevin’s very young reign as the Montreal Canadiens’ GM after ushering in the second Michel Therrien era. Stubbs believes that making that controversial coaching hire has already ended the “honeymoon” era for Bergevin.
Compared to Pierre Gauthier, his sometimes lifelike predecessor, Bergevin has been a breath of communicative fresh air, keeping some cards tight to his vest yet willing to show others.
But in the dark of night Monday into Tuesday, Internet reports confirmed by team communiqué roughly nine hours later, Bergevin confounded many fans and infuriated plenty more with his hiring of Michel Therrien to a second tour of duty as Canadiens head coach.
All this iron-rich new blood in the front office, and then Bergevin gives the team what many critics are calling a stale infusion.
The “honeymoon” moniker might just be the important thing to remember, though.
Sure, Therrien’s hire is the first “major” move of the Bergevin era (apologies to Dudley), yet there are much bigger decisions ahead. Most obviously, Bergevin needs to lock up young cornerstones – and restricted free agents – Carey Price and P.K. Subban with reasonable new deals.
It’s a tough situation for a general manager considering the differing pressures of a crowd that wants wins right away and a role that often calls for patience, but ultimately, Bergevin needs to go with his gut.
Picking Therrien will test that intestinal fortitude, though.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)