Jun 4, 2012, 8:20 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings need just two more wins to capture the Stanley Cup. Most of their core players are in their early-to-mid 20s with a lot of hockey ahead of them. They can appreciate just how special this moment is, but 35-year-old Willie Mitchell knows first-hand how rare it is.
“I can just talk about how much I’m enjoying it at (age) 35,” Mitchell said. “There’s guys in here who have won Stanley Cups … and they can give me perspective on it. There’s a lot of guys that are highly motivated.
“All of us have different stories, all of us have different reasons, but the one thing that motivates us all is the same thing, right?”
Mitchell was originally drafted by his current opponent, the New Jersey Devils. He was even an extra player when they won the Stanley Cup in 2000, but he was only an observer in their postseason run.
That’s not the case this time. He’s second only to Drew Doughty in terms of total ice time for the Los Angeles Kings in the playoffs. He doesn’t capture many headlines, but he’s been a big part of their stunning 2011-12 campaign.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)