Jun 4, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
According to the KHL website, the Washington Capitals won’t be seeing 2010 first-round pick Evgeni Kuznetsov anytime soon.
Under the league’s contract listings for the upcoming campaign, Kuznetsov’s name appears alongside a new two-year deal with Traktor Chelyabinsk, the team on which he’s played since 2009.
(There’s a screengrab here, courtesy Russian Machine Never Breaks)
Taken 26th overall by Washington 2010, Kuznetsov made waves earlier this month by verbally agreeing with Traktor on the two-year deal and, in the process of explaining his decision to stay in Russia, revealed he hadn’t yet informed the Capitals.
This raised eyebrows throughout the league as many figured Kuznetsov would soon be joining the Caps and playing alongside countryman Alex Ovechkin (much like the two did for the gold medal-winning Russian team at the recently completed World Hockey Championships.)
The plight of Kuznetsov has been closely followed in the nation’s capital this year, especially after his scintillating performance at the 2012 World Juniors. He scored 13 points in six games and was named to the first All-Star team, Best Forward and Tournament MVP.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)