Jun 4, 2012, 6:24 PM EDT
It’s not as if Tomas Vokoun doesn’t come with some baggage at this point. He’ll turn 36 on July 2 and his 2011-12 campaign ended due to a significant groin injury. He’s leaving Washington because they’re comfortable going into next season with Braden Holtby and Michal Neuvirth.
So it’s entirely possible that Vokoun wasn’t in line for a big payday as an unrestricted free agent, but if all he wanted to do was maximize his playing time, he could have probably found a better option than signing a two-year/$4 million deal with Pittsburgh.
The goaltending market is thin – more so now that the possibility of Tim Thomas being traded to fill a team’s void in net has been erased – and there are quite a few teams that could use a veteran goaltender. He could have signed with a team where he would have at least gotten a better shot to compete for the starting gig.
“I would love to win the Stanley Cup. I’ve been playing for a long time and I haven’t had a chance to do that,” Vokoun said. “For me, I think I could be useful in many situations. Whatever they’re going to need me to do, I’m going to try and do the best I can to help the team be successful.”
The chance at winning a Cup is a powerful incentive. It can lead veterans to take less money and accept smaller roles just to be a part of a promising team. In the salary cap era, reputation is a powerful currency.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)