Jun 4, 2012, 6:24 PM EST
It’s not as if Tomas Vokoun doesn’t come with some baggage at this point. He’ll turn 36 on July 2 and his 2011-12 campaign ended due to a significant groin injury. He’s leaving Washington because they’re comfortable going into next season with Braden Holtby and Michal Neuvirth.
So it’s entirely possible that Vokoun wasn’t in line for a big payday as an unrestricted free agent, but if all he wanted to do was maximize his playing time, he could have probably found a better option than signing a two-year/$4 million deal with Pittsburgh.
The goaltending market is thin – more so now that the possibility of Tim Thomas being traded to fill a team’s void in net has been erased – and there are quite a few teams that could use a veteran goaltender. He could have signed with a team where he would have at least gotten a better shot to compete for the starting gig.
“I would love to win the Stanley Cup. I’ve been playing for a long time and I haven’t had a chance to do that,” Vokoun said. “For me, I think I could be useful in many situations. Whatever they’re going to need me to do, I’m going to try and do the best I can to help the team be successful.”
The chance at winning a Cup is a powerful incentive. It can lead veterans to take less money and accept smaller roles just to be a part of a promising team. In the salary cap era, reputation is a powerful currency.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)