Jun 4, 2012, 11:48 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils didn’t lose tonight because the whistle should’ve been blown on the Kings’ first goal. They lost because they were the second best team on the ice, and by a fairly wide margin when the final horn sounded and Los Angeles had won, 4-0.
All the same, Devils coach Peter DeBoer would like to know why the Kings were allowed to keep whacking away at Martin Brodeur while the puck was underneath the goaltender’s pads.
“That’s a momentum-changing call at the time,” said DeBoer when asked if he thought the whistle should’ve been blown. “I hope he’s right. That’s an awful big call if you’re wrong.
“I mean, my opinion on it, as soon as you lose sight of the puck, the whistle’s supposed to go. Even if you don’t get [the whistle] to your mouth, your intent is to blow it when you lose sight.
“Should be dead puck, so…I’d like to hear an explanation for it.”
Here’s the goal by Alec Martinez that gave Los Angeles a 1-0 lead at 5:40 of the second period.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Upon further review, the puck was definitely lodged under Brodeur’s pads…
…though not for long enough apparently.
That, or the referee didn’t see it under his pads.
Anyway, we’ll never know if the game would’ve turned out differently if the whistle had blown. The first goal is always a big one, and doubly so in a low-scoring series like this one, so you can understand DeBoer’s frustration.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)