Jun 4, 2012, 11:48 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils didn’t lose tonight because the whistle should’ve been blown on the Kings’ first goal. They lost because they were the second best team on the ice, and by a fairly wide margin when the final horn sounded and Los Angeles had won, 4-0.
All the same, Devils coach Peter DeBoer would like to know why the Kings were allowed to keep whacking away at Martin Brodeur while the puck was underneath the goaltender’s pads.
“That’s a momentum-changing call at the time,” said DeBoer when asked if he thought the whistle should’ve been blown. “I hope he’s right. That’s an awful big call if you’re wrong.
“I mean, my opinion on it, as soon as you lose sight of the puck, the whistle’s supposed to go. Even if you don’t get [the whistle] to your mouth, your intent is to blow it when you lose sight.
“Should be dead puck, so…I’d like to hear an explanation for it.”
Here’s the goal by Alec Martinez that gave Los Angeles a 1-0 lead at 5:40 of the second period.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Upon further review, the puck was definitely lodged under Brodeur’s pads…
…though not for long enough apparently.
That, or the referee didn’t see it under his pads.
Anyway, we’ll never know if the game would’ve turned out differently if the whistle had blown. The first goal is always a big one, and doubly so in a low-scoring series like this one, so you can understand DeBoer’s frustration.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)