Jun 4, 2012, 9:49 AM EDT
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty spoke with Tyler Seguin about Thomas’ decision to spend time with his “friends, family, and faith” and finds out he’s still got support and sympathy in the room.
“He’s a big part of our team,” Seguin told CSNNE.com. “Everyone has the responsibility to make their own decisions in life. I haven’t lost any respect for him. I’ll miss him. He’s got my best wishes. Hopefully I’ll be able to be out on the same ice with him again.”
Haggerty also hears from defenseman Dennis Seidenberg, who seems a bit miffed about the whole thing.
“If he feels like that’s what he needs to do for his family then that’s okay, I guess,” said Seidenberg. “It’s tough to judge.”
A guy taking time off for his family is hard to argue with, but teammates can feel a similar closeness and leaving them behind while still under contract might not sit so well with others.
For now, this situation will remain unique in its oddness.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 20
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 20
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 31
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)