Jun 4, 2012, 9:49 AM EDT
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty spoke with Tyler Seguin about Thomas’ decision to spend time with his “friends, family, and faith” and finds out he’s still got support and sympathy in the room.
“He’s a big part of our team,” Seguin told CSNNE.com. “Everyone has the responsibility to make their own decisions in life. I haven’t lost any respect for him. I’ll miss him. He’s got my best wishes. Hopefully I’ll be able to be out on the same ice with him again.”
Haggerty also hears from defenseman Dennis Seidenberg, who seems a bit miffed about the whole thing.
“If he feels like that’s what he needs to do for his family then that’s okay, I guess,” said Seidenberg. “It’s tough to judge.”
A guy taking time off for his family is hard to argue with, but teammates can feel a similar closeness and leaving them behind while still under contract might not sit so well with others.
For now, this situation will remain unique in its oddness.
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)