Jun 4, 2012, 9:49 AM EDT
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty spoke with Tyler Seguin about Thomas’ decision to spend time with his “friends, family, and faith” and finds out he’s still got support and sympathy in the room.
“He’s a big part of our team,” Seguin told CSNNE.com. “Everyone has the responsibility to make their own decisions in life. I haven’t lost any respect for him. I’ll miss him. He’s got my best wishes. Hopefully I’ll be able to be out on the same ice with him again.”
Haggerty also hears from defenseman Dennis Seidenberg, who seems a bit miffed about the whole thing.
“If he feels like that’s what he needs to do for his family then that’s okay, I guess,” said Seidenberg. “It’s tough to judge.”
A guy taking time off for his family is hard to argue with, but teammates can feel a similar closeness and leaving them behind while still under contract might not sit so well with others.
For now, this situation will remain unique in its oddness.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)