Jun 4, 2012, 4:23 PM EST
While talks of contracts and extensions these days always come with a “depending on the CBA” addendum, it was still interesting to read what Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote today about the future of Sidney Crosby and the Penguins:
The NHL’s collective bargaining agreement with the players is set to expire in September, and that uncertainty could postpone deals with Crosby and/or Staal.
Crosby’s camp is seeking a lengthy deal, one the Penguins anticipate being at least seven years in term – possibly 10 or more. Crosby has said he does not expect any problems working out a new contract to remain with the Penguins.
Under Shero the most term committed to any player was the seven-year deal with Fleury during the 2008 offseason.
Plenty to chew on here. Pretend you’re Shero for a sec:
– Given that long-term, front-loaded contracts were a huge hornet’s nest in the last CBA (see here), it stands to reason they’ll be amended this time ’round. So, would it be worth your while to sign Crosby to one before the rules change?
– What do you use as a comparable contract? One would think Alex Ovechkin‘s 13-year, $124 million deal…but I’m not sure any team, regardless of the player, would take on that kind of financial gamble.
– What if you could get that kind of contract insured? Would you do it then?
– If Crosby says he wants to be the highest-paid player in the NHL, are you going to make it happen?
Let us know what you think in the comments section.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11