Jun 4, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
While talks of contracts and extensions these days always come with a “depending on the CBA” addendum, it was still interesting to read what Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote today about the future of Sidney Crosby and the Penguins:
The NHL’s collective bargaining agreement with the players is set to expire in September, and that uncertainty could postpone deals with Crosby and/or Staal.
Crosby’s camp is seeking a lengthy deal, one the Penguins anticipate being at least seven years in term – possibly 10 or more. Crosby has said he does not expect any problems working out a new contract to remain with the Penguins.
Under Shero the most term committed to any player was the seven-year deal with Fleury during the 2008 offseason.
Plenty to chew on here. Pretend you’re Shero for a sec:
– Given that long-term, front-loaded contracts were a huge hornet’s nest in the last CBA (see here), it stands to reason they’ll be amended this time ’round. So, would it be worth your while to sign Crosby to one before the rules change?
– What do you use as a comparable contract? One would think Alex Ovechkin‘s 13-year, $124 million deal…but I’m not sure any team, regardless of the player, would take on that kind of financial gamble.
– What if you could get that kind of contract insured? Would you do it then?
– If Crosby says he wants to be the highest-paid player in the NHL, are you going to make it happen?
Let us know what you think in the comments section.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)