Jun 4, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
While talks of contracts and extensions these days always come with a “depending on the CBA” addendum, it was still interesting to read what Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote today about the future of Sidney Crosby and the Penguins:
The NHL’s collective bargaining agreement with the players is set to expire in September, and that uncertainty could postpone deals with Crosby and/or Staal.
Crosby’s camp is seeking a lengthy deal, one the Penguins anticipate being at least seven years in term – possibly 10 or more. Crosby has said he does not expect any problems working out a new contract to remain with the Penguins.
Under Shero the most term committed to any player was the seven-year deal with Fleury during the 2008 offseason.
Plenty to chew on here. Pretend you’re Shero for a sec:
– Given that long-term, front-loaded contracts were a huge hornet’s nest in the last CBA (see here), it stands to reason they’ll be amended this time ’round. So, would it be worth your while to sign Crosby to one before the rules change?
– What do you use as a comparable contract? One would think Alex Ovechkin‘s 13-year, $124 million deal…but I’m not sure any team, regardless of the player, would take on that kind of financial gamble.
– What if you could get that kind of contract insured? Would you do it then?
– If Crosby says he wants to be the highest-paid player in the NHL, are you going to make it happen?
Let us know what you think in the comments section.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)