Jun 4, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
While talks of contracts and extensions these days always come with a “depending on the CBA” addendum, it was still interesting to read what Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote today about the future of Sidney Crosby and the Penguins:
The NHL’s collective bargaining agreement with the players is set to expire in September, and that uncertainty could postpone deals with Crosby and/or Staal.
Crosby’s camp is seeking a lengthy deal, one the Penguins anticipate being at least seven years in term – possibly 10 or more. Crosby has said he does not expect any problems working out a new contract to remain with the Penguins.
Under Shero the most term committed to any player was the seven-year deal with Fleury during the 2008 offseason.
Plenty to chew on here. Pretend you’re Shero for a sec:
— Given that long-term, front-loaded contracts were a huge hornet’s nest in the last CBA (see here), it stands to reason they’ll be amended this time ’round. So, would it be worth your while to sign Crosby to one before the rules change?
— What do you use as a comparable contract? One would think Alex Ovechkin‘s 13-year, $124 million deal…but I’m not sure any team, regardless of the player, would take on that kind of financial gamble.
— What if you could get that kind of contract insured? Would you do it then?
— If Crosby says he wants to be the highest-paid player in the NHL, are you going to make it happen?
Let us know what you think in the comments section.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)