Jun 4, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
While talks of contracts and extensions these days always come with a “depending on the CBA” addendum, it was still interesting to read what Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote today about the future of Sidney Crosby and the Penguins:
The NHL’s collective bargaining agreement with the players is set to expire in September, and that uncertainty could postpone deals with Crosby and/or Staal.
Crosby’s camp is seeking a lengthy deal, one the Penguins anticipate being at least seven years in term – possibly 10 or more. Crosby has said he does not expect any problems working out a new contract to remain with the Penguins.
Under Shero the most term committed to any player was the seven-year deal with Fleury during the 2008 offseason.
Plenty to chew on here. Pretend you’re Shero for a sec:
— Given that long-term, front-loaded contracts were a huge hornet’s nest in the last CBA (see here), it stands to reason they’ll be amended this time ’round. So, would it be worth your while to sign Crosby to one before the rules change?
— What do you use as a comparable contract? One would think Alex Ovechkin‘s 13-year, $124 million deal…but I’m not sure any team, regardless of the player, would take on that kind of financial gamble.
— What if you could get that kind of contract insured? Would you do it then?
— If Crosby says he wants to be the highest-paid player in the NHL, are you going to make it happen?
Let us know what you think in the comments section.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)