Jun 4, 2012, 11:28 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins are getting a jump on the free agency crush in a big way.
The Pens acquired the rights to Tomas Vokoun from the Washington Capitals for a seventh round pick in the 2012 draft. Vokoun is set to become a free agent on July 1, but with the Penguins acquiring him
they’ll have until then to work out a potential contract with him.
(UPDATE: Vokoun signs two-year, $4 million deal. That’s a $2 million cap hit)
Vokoun’s season in Washington came to an abrupt end thanks to a bad groin injury leaving the Caps to use Braden Holtby in the playoffs, a job he seized and made his own. If you’re thinking this is a move to make incumbent start Marc-Andre Fleury nervous, however, hold on a second.
Fleury was worked hard this season as backup Brent Johnson struggled. Fleury played in 67 games and looked obviously poor in the playoffs against Philadelphia after having a strong regular season.
This move harms the plans of other teams who had designs on signing Vokoun in July. Toronto had been rumored to have interest and Detroit sniffed around last summer. With Vokoun sticking with Pittsburgh, the hunt for goaltending (Roberto Luongo?) gets a bit hotter.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (104)