Jun 4, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
After two narrow wins in New Jersey, the Kings cruised to a 4-0 victory in Game 3 to take a commanding 3-0 series lead in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
Speaking of 3-0 series leads, Los Angeles has now taken one in every round of the playoffs. Since the NHL adopted it’s current playoff format in 1987, the Kings are the only team to have ever accomplished that feat.
Here are a few more facts to chew on:
– Believe it or not, this was New Jersey’s first game out of the Eastern Time Zone since Jan. 14. Maybe that was part of the problem…
– It’s finally happened! We finally got a non-Flyer atop the playoff goalscoring leaderboard when Anze Kopitar netted his eighth goal of the playoffs, tying Claude Giroux and Danny Briere for the NHL lead. Philadelphia’s playoff run ended on May 8.
– On a similar note: With an assist in Game 3, Drew Doughty now leads all blueliners with 13 points. He wrestled the top spot away from the New York Rangers’ Dan Girardi. The Rangers were eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals, but thanks to the Kings’ dominance, Doughty has actually played in three fewer games.
– Jeff Carter finally ended the series drought on power-play goals at 4:15 of the third period. Neither team netted a single goal with the man advantage in Games 1 and 2. Just how rare is that? As far as the Stanley Cup finals go, that’s just the third time it’s happened in 60 years. The last time it happened was in 1994 when the New York Rangers played the Vancouver Canucks.
– With 46 postseason road wins in total, we’re still tied for the NHL record. New Jersey will either break the record on Wednesday or the Los Angeles Kings will hoist the Cup.
– Neither team managed more than nine shots on goal in any period of this contest. Not including overtime, the New Jersey Devils are the only team to accumulate more than 10 shots on goal in a single period, doing it in the first and third frames of Game 2.
– The New Jersey Devils have not held the lead at any point during the Stanley Cup finals.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)