Jun 4, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
After two narrow wins in New Jersey, the Kings cruised to a 4-0 victory in Game 3 to take a commanding 3-0 series lead in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
Speaking of 3-0 series leads, Los Angeles has now taken one in every round of the playoffs. Since the NHL adopted it’s current playoff format in 1987, the Kings are the only team to have ever accomplished that feat.
Here are a few more facts to chew on:
— Believe it or not, this was New Jersey’s first game out of the Eastern Time Zone since Jan. 14. Maybe that was part of the problem…
— It’s finally happened! We finally got a non-Flyer atop the playoff goalscoring leaderboard when Anze Kopitar netted his eighth goal of the playoffs, tying Claude Giroux and Danny Briere for the NHL lead. Philadelphia’s playoff run ended on May 8.
— On a similar note: With an assist in Game 3, Drew Doughty now leads all blueliners with 13 points. He wrestled the top spot away from the New York Rangers’ Dan Girardi. The Rangers were eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals, but thanks to the Kings’ dominance, Doughty has actually played in three fewer games.
— Jeff Carter finally ended the series drought on power-play goals at 4:15 of the third period. Neither team netted a single goal with the man advantage in Games 1 and 2. Just how rare is that? As far as the Stanley Cup finals go, that’s just the third time it’s happened in 60 years. The last time it happened was in 1994 when the New York Rangers played the Vancouver Canucks.
— With 46 postseason road wins in total, we’re still tied for the NHL record. New Jersey will either break the record on Wednesday or the Los Angeles Kings will hoist the Cup.
— Neither team managed more than nine shots on goal in any period of this contest. Not including overtime, the New Jersey Devils are the only team to accumulate more than 10 shots on goal in a single period, doing it in the first and third frames of Game 2.
— The New Jersey Devils have not held the lead at any point during the Stanley Cup finals.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)