Jun 4, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
So, what are the remaining options?
Pending unrestricted free agents include Scott Clemmensen, Josh Harding, and Martin Biron. All three could feasibly get the job done, but if you’re Leafs GM Brian Burke and you know you have to make the playoffs, would your stake your job on either of those three?
Which brings us to Roberto Luongo, if he indeed wants to leave Vancouver. Say what you will about the 33-year-old with the contract that lasts forever, but he’s started at least 54 games per season since 2000-01. As a regular starter in the NHL, his worst year statistically was 2009-10 when he won 40 games with a .913 save percentage and had four shutouts.
If you’re Burke, what do you do? Because we’re struggling to think of another practical option, unless you can convince the Canucks to trade Cory Schneider instead of Luongo. Of course, if the Canucks are willing to trade Schneider, the Leafs won’t be the only suitors. Columbus and Tampa Bay would be willing to pay, and pay big.
Any ideas for Burke? Share ‘em in the comments section.
Update: I’ll add another candidate — Tim Thomas? Obviously Burke would have to convince him to play, but if the Leafs are still committed to James Reimer in the long run, adding an elite goalie with one year left on his contract wouldn’t be such a bad option.
Oh, and if Thomas wants to play for Team USA in 2014, getting on Burke’s good side wouldn’t be a bad idea.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 10
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)