Jun 4, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
So, what are the remaining options?
Pending unrestricted free agents include Scott Clemmensen, Josh Harding, and Martin Biron. All three could feasibly get the job done, but if you’re Leafs GM Brian Burke and you know you have to make the playoffs, would your stake your job on either of those three?
Which brings us to Roberto Luongo, if he indeed wants to leave Vancouver. Say what you will about the 33-year-old with the contract that lasts forever, but he’s started at least 54 games per season since 2000-01. As a regular starter in the NHL, his worst year statistically was 2009-10 when he won 40 games with a .913 save percentage and had four shutouts.
If you’re Burke, what do you do? Because we’re struggling to think of another practical option, unless you can convince the Canucks to trade Cory Schneider instead of Luongo. Of course, if the Canucks are willing to trade Schneider, the Leafs won’t be the only suitors. Columbus and Tampa Bay would be willing to pay, and pay big.
Any ideas for Burke? Share ‘em in the comments section.
Update: I’ll add another candidate — Tim Thomas? Obviously Burke would have to convince him to play, but if the Leafs are still committed to James Reimer in the long run, adding an elite goalie with one year left on his contract wouldn’t be such a bad option.
Oh, and if Thomas wants to play for Team USA in 2014, getting on Burke’s good side wouldn’t be a bad idea.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)