Jun 4, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
So, what are the remaining options?
Pending unrestricted free agents include Scott Clemmensen, Josh Harding, and Martin Biron. All three could feasibly get the job done, but if you’re Leafs GM Brian Burke and you know you have to make the playoffs, would your stake your job on either of those three?
Which brings us to Roberto Luongo, if he indeed wants to leave Vancouver. Say what you will about the 33-year-old with the contract that lasts forever, but he’s started at least 54 games per season since 2000-01. As a regular starter in the NHL, his worst year statistically was 2009-10 when he won 40 games with a .913 save percentage and had four shutouts.
If you’re Burke, what do you do? Because we’re struggling to think of another practical option, unless you can convince the Canucks to trade Cory Schneider instead of Luongo. Of course, if the Canucks are willing to trade Schneider, the Leafs won’t be the only suitors. Columbus and Tampa Bay would be willing to pay, and pay big.
Any ideas for Burke? Share ‘em in the comments section.
Update: I’ll add another candidate — Tim Thomas? Obviously Burke would have to convince him to play, but if the Leafs are still committed to James Reimer in the long run, adding an elite goalie with one year left on his contract wouldn’t be such a bad option.
Oh, and if Thomas wants to play for Team USA in 2014, getting on Burke’s good side wouldn’t be a bad idea.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 1
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)