Jun 4, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings defeated the New Jersey Devils, 4-0, Monday at the Staples Center to take a 3-0 series lead in the Stanley Cup finals. Game 4 goes Wednesday when the Kings will have an opportunity to win their first championship in franchise history.
—- The last Cup finals sweep was in 1998 when Detroit beat Washington. Amazingly, that was the fourth straight finals sweep.
—- How many 3-on-2s did the Kings have tonight? Whatever the exact number, it was a lot. Not that you can blame the Devils for aggressively pinching down, but you can blame them for not doing it very well.
—- New Jersey’s power play is now 0-for-12 in the finals and 3-for-35 since eliminating the Flyers in the second round.
—- The Kings outhit the Devils 55-32, according to the stats keepers.
—- Should the whistle have been blown before Alec Martinez whacked in the Kings’ first goal?
—- If the Kings win Wednesday, a team from Los Angeles will have won the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, and an NBA title. Only New York, Chicago and Boston can say that now. (Note 1: We’re counting the Patriots as Boston. Note 2: Anaheim doesn’t count as Los Angeles. Anaheim is Anaheim. Note 3: We’re not counting pre-Super Bowl titles, or Detroit and Philly would also qualify.)
—- If the Kings win Wednesday, the Blues will be the only team still in operation from the 1967 expansion without a Cup title. (RIP California Seals)
—- This was a nice goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 0
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 6
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)