Jun 4, 2012, 10:53 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings defeated the New Jersey Devils, 4-0, Monday at the Staples Center to take a 3-0 series lead in the Stanley Cup finals. Game 4 goes Wednesday when the Kings will have an opportunity to win their first championship in franchise history.
—- The last Cup finals sweep was in 1998 when Detroit beat Washington. Amazingly, that was the fourth straight finals sweep.
—- How many 3-on-2s did the Kings have tonight? Whatever the exact number, it was a lot. Not that you can blame the Devils for aggressively pinching down, but you can blame them for not doing it very well.
—- New Jersey’s power play is now 0-for-12 in the finals and 3-for-35 since eliminating the Flyers in the second round.
—- The Kings outhit the Devils 55-32, according to the stats keepers.
—- Should the whistle have been blown before Alec Martinez whacked in the Kings’ first goal?
—- If the Kings win Wednesday, a team from Los Angeles will have won the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, and an NBA title. Only New York, Chicago and Boston can say that now. (Note 1: We’re counting the Patriots as Boston. Note 2: Anaheim doesn’t count as Los Angeles. Anaheim is Anaheim. Note 3: We’re not counting pre-Super Bowl titles, or Detroit and Philly would also qualify.)
—- If the Kings win Wednesday, the Blues will be the only team still in operation from the 1967 expansion without a Cup title. (RIP California Seals)
—- This was a nice goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 31
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)