Jun 4, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings defeated the New Jersey Devils, 4-0, Monday at the Staples Center to take a 3-0 series lead in the Stanley Cup finals. Game 4 goes Wednesday when the Kings will have an opportunity to win their first championship in franchise history.
—- The last Cup finals sweep was in 1998 when Detroit beat Washington. Amazingly, that was the fourth straight finals sweep.
—- How many 3-on-2s did the Kings have tonight? Whatever the exact number, it was a lot. Not that you can blame the Devils for aggressively pinching down, but you can blame them for not doing it very well.
—- New Jersey’s power play is now 0-for-12 in the finals and 3-for-35 since eliminating the Flyers in the second round.
—- The Kings outhit the Devils 55-32, according to the stats keepers.
—- Should the whistle have been blown before Alec Martinez whacked in the Kings’ first goal?
—- If the Kings win Wednesday, a team from Los Angeles will have won the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, and an NBA title. Only New York, Chicago and Boston can say that now. (Note 1: We’re counting the Patriots as Boston. Note 2: Anaheim doesn’t count as Los Angeles. Anaheim is Anaheim. Note 3: We’re not counting pre-Super Bowl titles, or Detroit and Philly would also qualify.)
—- If the Kings win Wednesday, the Blues will be the only team still in operation from the 1967 expansion without a Cup title. (RIP California Seals)
—- This was a nice goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54