Jun 4, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings defeated the New Jersey Devils, 4-0, Monday at the Staples Center to take a 3-0 series lead in the Stanley Cup finals. Game 4 goes Wednesday when the Kings will have an opportunity to win their first championship in franchise history.
—- The last Cup finals sweep was in 1998 when Detroit beat Washington. Amazingly, that was the fourth straight finals sweep.
—- How many 3-on-2s did the Kings have tonight? Whatever the exact number, it was a lot. Not that you can blame the Devils for aggressively pinching down, but you can blame them for not doing it very well.
—- New Jersey’s power play is now 0-for-12 in the finals and 3-for-35 since eliminating the Flyers in the second round.
—- The Kings outhit the Devils 55-32, according to the stats keepers.
—- Should the whistle have been blown before Alec Martinez whacked in the Kings’ first goal?
—- If the Kings win Wednesday, a team from Los Angeles will have won the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, and an NBA title. Only New York, Chicago and Boston can say that now. (Note 1: We’re counting the Patriots as Boston. Note 2: Anaheim doesn’t count as Los Angeles. Anaheim is Anaheim. Note 3: We’re not counting pre-Super Bowl titles, or Detroit and Philly would also qualify.)
—- If the Kings win Wednesday, the Blues will be the only team still in operation from the 1967 expansion without a Cup title. (RIP California Seals)
—- This was a nice goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40