Jun 4, 2012, 5:04 PM EST
If the whole “avoid going down 3-0 and essentially losing the Stanley Cup” thing wasn’t enough motivation for New Jersey tonight, this puts it over the top — the Devils can be part of obscure NHL history!
History can be made in Los Angeles tonight. If the Devils win, it will be the 47th road win in the playoffs this season (road teams are currently 46-36). That would break the record set in 1987, when road teams went 46-41.
Ironic that this potential record would be set against the Kings, who’ve contributed greatly to the record by going a perfect 10-0 on the road.
As for 1987, that postseason was defined by a number of series where the road team dominated. The first-round series between the Islanders and Caps saw the visiting team win five of the seven games (including the Easter Epic, which the Islanders won in Washington in the fourth overtime.)
The Prince of Wales final was a six-game series between Montreal and Philadelphia where the road team won five times; the eventual Cup champion Oilers won seven away games en route to hoisting Lord Stanley’s Mug.
All that said, it’s going to be a tall order for the Devils tonight. They’ll need to beat a Kings team that’s lost just two games this postseason and need to do it under unfamiliar circumstances. The Devils will be playing outside the Eastern Time Zone for the first time since making a three-game swing through Western Canada that concluded with a 2-1 win in Winnipeg on Jan. 14.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 0
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)