Jun 4, 2012, 11:19 PM EDT
History is against the New Jersey Devils.
That much is obvious given the Los Angeles Kings have a 3-0 series lead in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
But just how bad are things for the Devils?
The Kings are the 26th team to take a 3-0 series lead in the Cup finals. Of the previous 25, 20 have won Game 4. Four weren’t able to complete the sweep of their opponents, but still won it all.
The only group to ever overcome a 3-0 series deficit in the Stanley Cup finals is the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs. Seventy years ago, the league had seven teams, including the now defunct Brooklyn Americans (in previous seasons they were known as the New York Americans). That’s right, the last time a team accomplished what the New Jersey Devils need to do was before the Original Six era.
Of course, a history lesson won’t be enough to get the Devils to give in.
“We’re not going to quit until someone’s won a fourth game, so we start over,” captain Zach Parise said. “We’ve got to win four straight. That’s it.”
Parise does still have a reason to be optimistic, because the news isn’t all doom-and-gloom. It’s true that no team to has won Games 4 through 7 of the Stanley Cup finals since World War II, but what about the playoffs in general?
Just last year, both the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings managed to force a Game 7 after dropping the first three games of their respective series. Neither team could seal the deal, but it does show that a 3-0 lead can be squandered.
Then, factor in that a mere two years ago, the Philadelphia Flyers were able to defeat the Boston Bruins in the second round of the playoffs after falling down 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in Game 7.
The moral of the story is that the Los Angeles Kings haven’t won anything yet.
That being said, they’re very very close.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 0
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 42
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 43
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 53
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal