Jun 3, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
When Jeff Carter scored the overtime game-winning goal in Game 2, the joy the Los Angeles Kings had wasn’t just limited to going up 2-0 in the series. The Kings were rooting pretty hard for Carter to get things going offensively.
“He’s been in the media a lot, he’s been in a lot of story lines,” Jarret Stoll said after the game. “[He's] A great addition for our team, a lot of offense coming over to us. Solidify our lineup, depthwise throughout our lineup and made us a lot better team. Big goal. Huge goal for him and for our team.”
Before last night’s goal, Carter hadn’t scored since Game 2 of the Western Conference finals when he netted a hat trick against Phoenix. Since then he’s had just two assists but his goal was big for not just him, but his line as well.
“That’s the way it’s gotta be in the playoffs especially in the Stanley Cup finals,” Dustin Penner said. “Cartsy had a huge goal and a huge game for us. As a line we needed something like that to get us going again because we’ve been kind of indifferent.”
Indifferent in that they’ve been invisible offensively for a little while. If Carter just wants to spend his time scoring game-winners, however, I don’t think the Kings will mind too much.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)