Jun 3, 2012, 9:10 PM EST
Down 2-0 in the Stanley Cup finals, the New Jersey Devils’ situation is getting desperate. Still, the fact that they’ve even made it this far is a huge accomplishment and Ilya Kovalchuk thinks Travis Zajac deserves quite a bit of credit for that.
“When Sidney Crosby came back for Pittsburgh, did they feel better? Obviously,” Kovalchuk said. “It’s the same thing for us. When you’re No. 1 center is coming back and we know he can be one of the top players in the League, it’s always big.”
You don’t usually hear of Zajac being compared to Crosby in any context. Zajac can’t hope to match him in terms of points-per-game, but Zajac’s late-season return certainly provided the Devils with a big boost.
“I love playing with him and practicing with him because he’s so smart in both ends and he works his butt off, but he’s not a flashy guy,” Patrik Elias said. “He does his job. He’s got great hockey sense, great skills. He’s strong. He’s not going to go out and hit anybody all that hard or anything like that, but he’s so annoying to play against, seriously.”
Zajac is tied for the team lead in goals, but he – like the vast majority of Devils players – has been unable to find the back of the net against the Los Angeles Kings in this series. He’s currently projected to play alongside Zach Parise and Kovalchuk in Game 3 on Monday.
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)