Jun 3, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
Coming out as the eighth seed in the West, no one expected much from the Los Angeles Kings. Seeing them up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup finals is remarkable on its own, but how does this team shape up compared to other teams from the past? They could wind up matching the record of one of the playoffs’ all-time best.
The Kings are 14-2 in the playoffs and two wins away from winning the Cup. Michael Grange of Sportsnet points out they’ve got a chance to do something a team loaded with Hall-Of-Famers has only done before.
Two more wins on home ice and the Kings are not only the first No. 8 seed to become Stanley Cup champions, while breaking a 44-year Cup drought (yes, only the Toronto Maple Leafs is longer), but they would also finish the tournament at 16-2.
Since the NHL expanded the playoffs to a best-of-seven format for all four rounds in 1987 only the iconic 1988 Edmonton Oilers, who won their fourth Stanley Cup while rolling up a 16-2 post-season record have been that good in the Spring. Only two teams have been 16-4.
Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Drew Doughty, Dustin Brown, and Jonathan Quick being on the same level as a team that iced Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, Glenn Anderson, and Grant Fuhr? Incredible. To put things in context like this helps us realize just what sort of run these Kings are on.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)