Jun 3, 2012, 12:16 AM EDT
When Jeff Carter‘s 2010-11 campaign came to a close, it looked like he was going to spend the rest of his career with the Philadelphia Flyers. They still weren’t far removed from their surprising Stanley Cup run and though Carter struggled, it seemed reasonable to believe he’d get another shot.
Just two years later, he’s back in the Stanley Cup finals and on Saturday he netted the overtime winner to give his team a 2-0 series lead.
You can watch his overtime goal below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“This is by far the biggest, for sure,” Carter said of the game-winner. “I think it’s my first playoff overtime goal”
It looks like he and his long-time teammate, Mike Richards, might hoist the Stanley Cup in their second trip to the finals. The only thing different is the location. Both of them were dealt after signing long-term deals with Philadelphia — Carter was originally sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets before the Kings reunited the duo.
Carter was asked if scoring the winner made up for all the ups and downs he’s had to endure over the last year.
“Yeah, It’s a pretty special moment,” he said.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)