Jun 3, 2012, 12:16 AM EST
When Jeff Carter‘s 2010-11 campaign came to a close, it looked like he was going to spend the rest of his career with the Philadelphia Flyers. They still weren’t far removed from their surprising Stanley Cup run and though Carter struggled, it seemed reasonable to believe he’d get another shot.
Just two years later, he’s back in the Stanley Cup finals and on Saturday he netted the overtime winner to give his team a 2-0 series lead.
You can watch his overtime goal below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“This is by far the biggest, for sure,” Carter said of the game-winner. “I think it’s my first playoff overtime goal”
It looks like he and his long-time teammate, Mike Richards, might hoist the Stanley Cup in their second trip to the finals. The only thing different is the location. Both of them were dealt after signing long-term deals with Philadelphia — Carter was originally sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets before the Kings reunited the duo.
Carter was asked if scoring the winner made up for all the ups and downs he’s had to endure over the last year.
“Yeah, It’s a pretty special moment,” he said.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 33
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)