Jun 3, 2012, 12:16 AM EST
When Jeff Carter‘s 2010-11 campaign came to a close, it looked like he was going to spend the rest of his career with the Philadelphia Flyers. They still weren’t far removed from their surprising Stanley Cup run and though Carter struggled, it seemed reasonable to believe he’d get another shot.
Just two years later, he’s back in the Stanley Cup finals and on Saturday he netted the overtime winner to give his team a 2-0 series lead.
You can watch his overtime goal below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“This is by far the biggest, for sure,” Carter said of the game-winner. “I think it’s my first playoff overtime goal”
It looks like he and his long-time teammate, Mike Richards, might hoist the Stanley Cup in their second trip to the finals. The only thing different is the location. Both of them were dealt after signing long-term deals with Philadelphia — Carter was originally sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets before the Kings reunited the duo.
Carter was asked if scoring the winner made up for all the ups and downs he’s had to endure over the last year.
“Yeah, It’s a pretty special moment,” he said.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)