Jun 3, 2012, 12:16 AM EST
When Jeff Carter‘s 2010-11 campaign came to a close, it looked like he was going to spend the rest of his career with the Philadelphia Flyers. They still weren’t far removed from their surprising Stanley Cup run and though Carter struggled, it seemed reasonable to believe he’d get another shot.
Just two years later, he’s back in the Stanley Cup finals and on Saturday he netted the overtime winner to give his team a 2-0 series lead.
You can watch his overtime goal below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“This is by far the biggest, for sure,” Carter said of the game-winner. “I think it’s my first playoff overtime goal”
It looks like he and his long-time teammate, Mike Richards, might hoist the Stanley Cup in their second trip to the finals. The only thing different is the location. Both of them were dealt after signing long-term deals with Philadelphia — Carter was originally sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets before the Kings reunited the duo.
Carter was asked if scoring the winner made up for all the ups and downs he’s had to endure over the last year.
“Yeah, It’s a pretty special moment,” he said.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)