Jun 3, 2012, 10:15 PM EST
Brent Sutter served as the New Jersey Devils head coach for two years, but his loyalty to his family is greater than his loyalty to his former employers. His brother, Darryl Sutter, is the head coach of the Los Angeles Kings and Brent has been feeding him information about his Stanley Cup opponents.
“How much of a tactical advantage could that be (laughter)?” Devils coach Peter DeBoer asked. He later added, “I’ve worked with Brent. Brent is great. We’re coaches. We rely on as many good coaches and smart people rely on as many people as they can when they get in these types of situations. That doesn’t surprise me. I’m sure Brent is a great resource for Darryl.”
DeBoer has gotten some outside help as well. He has sought the guidance of former Devils coach Jaques Lemaire.
“He knows the personnel inside out and has a good feel for the players,” DeBoer said. “They had success down the stretch last year playing a certain way. I relied on him early in the season and I still have regular phone conversations with him as late as a week ago.
“He’s a great resource for me to have in the organization. He laid the foundation defensively for this team last year. That’s why we’re capable of playing teams like the Rangers and L.A. and play in 1-1, 2-1 games on a regular basis.”
Of course the Devils haven’t been able to actually beat the Kings in a one-goal game yet. Los Angeles is up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup finals with Game 3 scheduled for Monday.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)