Jun 3, 2012, 10:15 PM EST
Brent Sutter served as the New Jersey Devils head coach for two years, but his loyalty to his family is greater than his loyalty to his former employers. His brother, Darryl Sutter, is the head coach of the Los Angeles Kings and Brent has been feeding him information about his Stanley Cup opponents.
“How much of a tactical advantage could that be (laughter)?” Devils coach Peter DeBoer asked. He later added, “I’ve worked with Brent. Brent is great. We’re coaches. We rely on as many good coaches and smart people rely on as many people as they can when they get in these types of situations. That doesn’t surprise me. I’m sure Brent is a great resource for Darryl.”
DeBoer has gotten some outside help as well. He has sought the guidance of former Devils coach Jaques Lemaire.
“He knows the personnel inside out and has a good feel for the players,” DeBoer said. “They had success down the stretch last year playing a certain way. I relied on him early in the season and I still have regular phone conversations with him as late as a week ago.
“He’s a great resource for me to have in the organization. He laid the foundation defensively for this team last year. That’s why we’re capable of playing teams like the Rangers and L.A. and play in 1-1, 2-1 games on a regular basis.”
Of course the Devils haven’t been able to actually beat the Kings in a one-goal game yet. Los Angeles is up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup finals with Game 3 scheduled for Monday.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)