Jun 3, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
Now that Tim Thomas has decided to take next season off to spend with his “family, friends, and faith” Boston’s situation in goal just got a lot more interesting. Boston has Tuukka Rask and Anton Khudobin set to be their goaltending tandem next season but there’s one little problem: Rask is a restricted free agent this summer.
Getting Rask locked up to a long-term deal has become GM Peter Chiarelli’s biggest offseason task. The issue the Bruins have now, however, is Thomas’ departure gives Rask a lot more leverage to get what he wants.
For all intents and purposes, Thomas’ career in Boston is over with. His contract expires after next season and with his friends and family sabbatical taking him out of the picture, Rask is the No. 1 guy and he’s going to want to be paid like it.
Getting the right term and money for Rask, who proved back in 2009-10 he could handle himself just fine as a starter, will make for a fascinating story line to follow this summer. At the very least, Tim Thomas’ departure has helped make Boston’s offseason a lot more exciting.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)