Jun 2, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
When the Stanley Cup finals shifts to Los Angeles for Games 3 and 4, all the stars will be out for it including The Great One.
Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press reports Wayne Gretzky will be in the house for Game 3 and dropping the ceremonial first puck.
Gretzky, of course, was the captain of the 1993 Kings team that was the franchise’s first and last team to reach the Stanley Cup finals. The Kings lost to Montreal that season, but with the current Kings leading the series 1-0 with a shot at heading home up 2-0 tonight, the atmosphere will officially be off the charts.
With the Kings facing the Devils, there’s no irony being lost as Gretzky once famously roasted the Devils for being a “Mickey Mouse organization” as a member of the Oilers after a 13-4 thrashing of New Jersey. They’re both a long way from those words being close to true.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)