Jun 2, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
When the Stanley Cup finals shifts to Los Angeles for Games 3 and 4, all the stars will be out for it including The Great One.
Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press reports Wayne Gretzky will be in the house for Game 3 and dropping the ceremonial first puck.
Gretzky, of course, was the captain of the 1993 Kings team that was the franchise’s first and last team to reach the Stanley Cup finals. The Kings lost to Montreal that season, but with the current Kings leading the series 1-0 with a shot at heading home up 2-0 tonight, the atmosphere will officially be off the charts.
With the Kings facing the Devils, there’s no irony being lost as Gretzky once famously roasted the Devils for being a “Mickey Mouse organization” as a member of the Oilers after a 13-4 thrashing of New Jersey. They’re both a long way from those words being close to true.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)