Jun 2, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
Earlier today, I had a sad thought: the 2012 playoffs haven’t had enough “highlight reel” moments. That’s probably the thought of a spoiled hockey fan, but it was there nonetheless. For anyone who had that same thought, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty overshadowed an impressive period by the New Jersey Devils by scoring a beautiful goal that almost seemed unthinkable in this skin-tight postseason:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bruce Arthur called it “the closest thing to a Pavel Bure rush” he’s seen in the playoffs, yet the venue (SCF), position (defenseman) and opponent (Devils) made it easier for me to think of Scott Niedermayer’s end-to-end instead. Either way, it was amazing – and might just be the first bullet point in the case for Doughty’s Conn Smythe argument.
Here’s the Niedermayer goal, by the way:
Since we’re on the subject, what have been some of your favorite goals from this year’s playoffs?
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 4
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 27
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 27
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25