Jun 2, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
Earlier today, I had a sad thought: the 2012 playoffs haven’t had enough “highlight reel” moments. That’s probably the thought of a spoiled hockey fan, but it was there nonetheless. For anyone who had that same thought, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty overshadowed an impressive period by the New Jersey Devils by scoring a beautiful goal that almost seemed unthinkable in this skin-tight postseason:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bruce Arthur called it “the closest thing to a Pavel Bure rush” he’s seen in the playoffs, yet the venue (SCF), position (defenseman) and opponent (Devils) made it easier for me to think of Scott Niedermayer’s end-to-end instead. Either way, it was amazing – and might just be the first bullet point in the case for Doughty’s Conn Smythe argument.
Here’s the Niedermayer goal, by the way:
Since we’re on the subject, what have been some of your favorite goals from this year’s playoffs?
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)