Jun 2, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
Earlier today, I had a sad thought: the 2012 playoffs haven’t had enough “highlight reel” moments. That’s probably the thought of a spoiled hockey fan, but it was there nonetheless. For anyone who had that same thought, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty overshadowed an impressive period by the New Jersey Devils by scoring a beautiful goal that almost seemed unthinkable in this skin-tight postseason:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bruce Arthur called it “the closest thing to a Pavel Bure rush” he’s seen in the playoffs, yet the venue (SCF), position (defenseman) and opponent (Devils) made it easier for me to think of Scott Niedermayer’s end-to-end instead. Either way, it was amazing – and might just be the first bullet point in the case for Doughty’s Conn Smythe argument.
Here’s the Niedermayer goal, by the way:
Since we’re on the subject, what have been some of your favorite goals from this year’s playoffs?
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5