Jun 2, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
Earlier today, I had a sad thought: the 2012 playoffs haven’t had enough “highlight reel” moments. That’s probably the thought of a spoiled hockey fan, but it was there nonetheless. For anyone who had that same thought, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty overshadowed an impressive period by the New Jersey Devils by scoring a beautiful goal that almost seemed unthinkable in this skin-tight postseason:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Bruce Arthur called it “the closest thing to a Pavel Bure rush” he’s seen in the playoffs, yet the venue (SCF), position (defenseman) and opponent (Devils) made it easier for me to think of Scott Niedermayer’s end-to-end instead. Either way, it was amazing – and might just be the first bullet point in the case for Doughty’s Conn Smythe argument.
Here’s the Niedermayer goal, by the way:
Since we’re on the subject, what have been some of your favorite goals from this year’s playoffs?
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)