Jun 2, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
One thing lacking from Game 1 was any kind of nastiness from either the Kings or the Devils. While we remember the Bruins and Canucks instantly getting under each other’s skin last season in the finals, that hasn’t happened yet this year.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer feels just fine about the series, so far, lacking any kind of heat as he told reporters this morning.
“I would doubt you’re going to see any fighting,” DeBoer said. “I think both teams’ discipline is at a premium. We’re both good five-on-five teams. I don’t think either of us wants to get into a specialty team game. You’re not going to see any of that stuff.”
“But that doesn’t mean it’s not a war at ice level for ice and puck battles and space.”
The teams weren’t lacking in physicality as there more than 70 hits doled out in Game 1 with the Devils in particular stepping up their game later on. With more hits comes upset feelings. There might not be any rough stuff at the moment, but it’s coming.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)