Jun 2, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
One thing lacking from Game 1 was any kind of nastiness from either the Kings or the Devils. While we remember the Bruins and Canucks instantly getting under each other’s skin last season in the finals, that hasn’t happened yet this year.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer feels just fine about the series, so far, lacking any kind of heat as he told reporters this morning.
“I would doubt you’re going to see any fighting,” DeBoer said. “I think both teams’ discipline is at a premium. We’re both good five-on-five teams. I don’t think either of us wants to get into a specialty team game. You’re not going to see any of that stuff.”
“But that doesn’t mean it’s not a war at ice level for ice and puck battles and space.”
The teams weren’t lacking in physicality as there more than 70 hits doled out in Game 1 with the Devils in particular stepping up their game later on. With more hits comes upset feelings. There might not be any rough stuff at the moment, but it’s coming.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 9
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)