Jun 2, 2012, 3:44 PM EDT
Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals had an exciting finish, but most regarded it as a slow, sloppy, feeling-out process kind of game. The talk out of both locker rooms this morning centered around doing things a lot better.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty heard it from Ilya Kovalchuk about how the Devils, and himself personally, just have to do better all-around if they’re going to win Game 2.
“I don’t think any of us can say that we played a good game,” said Kovalchuk, who managed just one shot in an invisible performance in his first Stanley Cup Final game. “Me personally, I can be much better and I know it. I need to go out and prove it, and show that tonight.”
Kovalchuk going missing in action in Game 1 was a contributing factor as to why the Devils lost, but Kings captain Dustin Brown says his team’s effort needs to be better as well.
“We’ve been successful in Game 1 in each of the playoffs and we’ve come back even hungrier in Game 2 in each of those series. The game will be a much cleaner game in terms of competing better. The ice will be better and people will execute plays better.”
With how both teams are talking, we could be in store for an instant classic match-up tonight.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)