Jun 2, 2012, 3:44 PM EST
Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals had an exciting finish, but most regarded it as a slow, sloppy, feeling-out process kind of game. The talk out of both locker rooms this morning centered around doing things a lot better.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty heard it from Ilya Kovalchuk about how the Devils, and himself personally, just have to do better all-around if they’re going to win Game 2.
“I don’t think any of us can say that we played a good game,” said Kovalchuk, who managed just one shot in an invisible performance in his first Stanley Cup Final game. “Me personally, I can be much better and I know it. I need to go out and prove it, and show that tonight.”
Kovalchuk going missing in action in Game 1 was a contributing factor as to why the Devils lost, but Kings captain Dustin Brown says his team’s effort needs to be better as well.
“We’ve been successful in Game 1 in each of the playoffs and we’ve come back even hungrier in Game 2 in each of those series. The game will be a much cleaner game in terms of competing better. The ice will be better and people will execute plays better.”
With how both teams are talking, we could be in store for an instant classic match-up tonight.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)