Jun 2, 2012, 3:44 PM EST
Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals had an exciting finish, but most regarded it as a slow, sloppy, feeling-out process kind of game. The talk out of both locker rooms this morning centered around doing things a lot better.
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty heard it from Ilya Kovalchuk about how the Devils, and himself personally, just have to do better all-around if they’re going to win Game 2.
“I don’t think any of us can say that we played a good game,” said Kovalchuk, who managed just one shot in an invisible performance in his first Stanley Cup Final game. “Me personally, I can be much better and I know it. I need to go out and prove it, and show that tonight.”
Kovalchuk going missing in action in Game 1 was a contributing factor as to why the Devils lost, but Kings captain Dustin Brown says his team’s effort needs to be better as well.
“We’ve been successful in Game 1 in each of the playoffs and we’ve come back even hungrier in Game 2 in each of those series. The game will be a much cleaner game in terms of competing better. The ice will be better and people will execute plays better.”
With how both teams are talking, we could be in store for an instant classic match-up tonight.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)