Jun 2, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
For Nail Yakupov, Filip Forsberg, Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk, and Ryan Murray visiting the Stanley Cup finals was an opportunity for them to meet players they’re fans of themselves.
While the draft and where their future will take them is yet to be decided, visiting the finals gave Murray, a defenseman, the chance to talk with Kings defenseman Drew Doughty.
“I wanted to meet Doughty,” Murray said. “He’s such a great player and he’s done a lot in his career already. I heard he’s a beauty so I wanted to meet him.”
In case you’re wondering, yes, Murray found him to be a beauty.
Mikhail Grigorenko and Nail Yakupov were beyond excited to meet with Ilya Kovalchuk, his favorite player in the league.
“I think he’s the most skilled player in the league,” Grigorenko said. “He has amazing hands, amazing shot. He can do everything you want on the ice. He can score, he can pass, he can fight.”
For forward Filip Forsberg, seeing Johan Hedberg gave him a slice of being back home again as they’re both from the same town. While Forsberg says Hedberg didn’t give him any advice, he said Hedberg provides him with a great example.
“You try to work hard everyday and it’s never too late. He’s almost 40-years-old and he’s playing in his first Stanley Cup finals. You should never give up.”
That’s great advice for any one trying to reach the NHL.
(Photo: Dave Sandford – Twitter)
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)