Jun 2, 2012, 2:38 PM EST
For Nail Yakupov, Filip Forsberg, Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk, and Ryan Murray visiting the Stanley Cup finals was an opportunity for them to meet players they’re fans of themselves.
While the draft and where their future will take them is yet to be decided, visiting the finals gave Murray, a defenseman, the chance to talk with Kings defenseman Drew Doughty.
“I wanted to meet Doughty,” Murray said. “He’s such a great player and he’s done a lot in his career already. I heard he’s a beauty so I wanted to meet him.”
In case you’re wondering, yes, Murray found him to be a beauty.
Mikhail Grigorenko and Nail Yakupov were beyond excited to meet with Ilya Kovalchuk, his favorite player in the league.
“I think he’s the most skilled player in the league,” Grigorenko said. “He has amazing hands, amazing shot. He can do everything you want on the ice. He can score, he can pass, he can fight.”
For forward Filip Forsberg, seeing Johan Hedberg gave him a slice of being back home again as they’re both from the same town. While Forsberg says Hedberg didn’t give him any advice, he said Hedberg provides him with a great example.
“You try to work hard everyday and it’s never too late. He’s almost 40-years-old and he’s playing in his first Stanley Cup finals. You should never give up.”
That’s great advice for any one trying to reach the NHL.
(Photo: Dave Sandford – Twitter)
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 40
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32