Jun 2, 2012, 2:38 PM EDT
For Nail Yakupov, Filip Forsberg, Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk, and Ryan Murray visiting the Stanley Cup finals was an opportunity for them to meet players they’re fans of themselves.
While the draft and where their future will take them is yet to be decided, visiting the finals gave Murray, a defenseman, the chance to talk with Kings defenseman Drew Doughty.
“I wanted to meet Doughty,” Murray said. “He’s such a great player and he’s done a lot in his career already. I heard he’s a beauty so I wanted to meet him.”
In case you’re wondering, yes, Murray found him to be a beauty.
Mikhail Grigorenko and Nail Yakupov were beyond excited to meet with Ilya Kovalchuk, his favorite player in the league.
“I think he’s the most skilled player in the league,” Grigorenko said. “He has amazing hands, amazing shot. He can do everything you want on the ice. He can score, he can pass, he can fight.”
For forward Filip Forsberg, seeing Johan Hedberg gave him a slice of being back home again as they’re both from the same town. While Forsberg says Hedberg didn’t give him any advice, he said Hedberg provides him with a great example.
“You try to work hard everyday and it’s never too late. He’s almost 40-years-old and he’s playing in his first Stanley Cup finals. You should never give up.”
That’s great advice for any one trying to reach the NHL.
(Photo: Dave Sandford – Twitter)
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)