Jun 2, 2012, 11:41 PM EST
Saturday evening in Newark, Kings forward Jeff Carter beat Devils goalie Martin Brodeur at 13:32 of the first overtime period to give Los Angeles a 2-1 victory in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals. The Kings now lead the series 2-0, with Game 3 Monday at the Staples Center.
Your discussion points:
—- Los Angeles is 10-0 on the road in the playoffs. If they win Games 3 and 4 at home, they’ll finish the playoffs undefeated on the road. This is rather insane.
—- Let’s handicap the Devils’ chances of coming back and winning this series. Does 20/1 sound about right?
—- Jonathan Quick is the clear Conn Smythe Trophy favorite, but who’s the second favorite? It was Dustin Brown before the finals. Is it Drew Doughty now? That was a pretty nice goal he scored tonight.
— Hopefully the Devils’ trainer knows how to do that thing Mr. Miyagi did with his hands, because Ilya Kovalchuk’s back looks like it’s hurting again.
—- Both Games 1 and 2 finished 2-1 in overtime, but can we all agree Game 2 was miles better from an entertainment perspective?
—- Fun fact No. 1: The last time Games 1 and 2 of the finals went to overtime was 1951 between Toronto and Montreal.
—- Fun fact No. 2: All five games went to OT in 1951, with the Leafs winning four of the five.
—- Devils fans were furious no penalty was given to Willie Mitchell for high-sticking David Clarkson in the second period. However, the league confirmed no penalty was warranted, as Mitchell was following through on his attempted shoot-in.
—- Neither team has scored a power-play goal in the finals. Not that the Kings care, but the Devils probably do.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)