Jun 2, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT
Saturday evening in Newark, Kings forward Jeff Carter beat Devils goalie Martin Brodeur at 13:32 of the first overtime period to give Los Angeles a 2-1 victory in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals. The Kings now lead the series 2-0, with Game 3 Monday at the Staples Center.
Your discussion points:
—- Los Angeles is 10-0 on the road in the playoffs. If they win Games 3 and 4 at home, they’ll finish the playoffs undefeated on the road. This is rather insane.
—- Let’s handicap the Devils’ chances of coming back and winning this series. Does 20/1 sound about right?
—- Jonathan Quick is the clear Conn Smythe Trophy favorite, but who’s the second favorite? It was Dustin Brown before the finals. Is it Drew Doughty now? That was a pretty nice goal he scored tonight.
— Hopefully the Devils’ trainer knows how to do that thing Mr. Miyagi did with his hands, because Ilya Kovalchuk’s back looks like it’s hurting again.
—- Both Games 1 and 2 finished 2-1 in overtime, but can we all agree Game 2 was miles better from an entertainment perspective?
—- Fun fact No. 1: The last time Games 1 and 2 of the finals went to overtime was 1951 between Toronto and Montreal.
—- Fun fact No. 2: All five games went to OT in 1951, with the Leafs winning four of the five.
—- Devils fans were furious no penalty was given to Willie Mitchell for high-sticking David Clarkson in the second period. However, the league confirmed no penalty was warranted, as Mitchell was following through on his attempted shoot-in.
—- Neither team has scored a power-play goal in the finals. Not that the Kings care, but the Devils probably do.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 59
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5