Jun 2, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT
Saturday evening in Newark, Kings forward Jeff Carter beat Devils goalie Martin Brodeur at 13:32 of the first overtime period to give Los Angeles a 2-1 victory in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals. The Kings now lead the series 2-0, with Game 3 Monday at the Staples Center.
Your discussion points:
—- Los Angeles is 10-0 on the road in the playoffs. If they win Games 3 and 4 at home, they’ll finish the playoffs undefeated on the road. This is rather insane.
—- Let’s handicap the Devils’ chances of coming back and winning this series. Does 20/1 sound about right?
—- Jonathan Quick is the clear Conn Smythe Trophy favorite, but who’s the second favorite? It was Dustin Brown before the finals. Is it Drew Doughty now? That was a pretty nice goal he scored tonight.
— Hopefully the Devils’ trainer knows how to do that thing Mr. Miyagi did with his hands, because Ilya Kovalchuk’s back looks like it’s hurting again.
—- Both Games 1 and 2 finished 2-1 in overtime, but can we all agree Game 2 was miles better from an entertainment perspective?
—- Fun fact No. 1: The last time Games 1 and 2 of the finals went to overtime was 1951 between Toronto and Montreal.
—- Fun fact No. 2: All five games went to OT in 1951, with the Leafs winning four of the five.
—- Devils fans were furious no penalty was given to Willie Mitchell for high-sticking David Clarkson in the second period. However, the league confirmed no penalty was warranted, as Mitchell was following through on his attempted shoot-in.
—- Neither team has scored a power-play goal in the finals. Not that the Kings care, but the Devils probably do.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)