Jun 1, 2012, 8:20 AM EST
Tomas Holmstrom and Nicklas Lidstrom are good friends. They’ve both spent their entire careers with the Detroit Red Wings and they were both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents this summer. However, Lidstrom has announced his retirement and now the question is if Holmstrom will do the same.
“Some days I feel like yes (I’ll return), and some days no, and some days it’s just aches and pain,” said Holmstrom.
The situation with Holmstrom is significantly different than it was with Lidstrom. Holmstrom was never a superstar and he’s not coming off of a strong season. In fact, he got just 24 points in 74 games last season while averaging 11:52 minutes per contest. Additionally, even if Holmstrom wants to return, there’s a chance that there might not still be a spot for him in their lineup.
Still, losing Holmstrom on top of Lidstrom could make the transition even harder from a veteran leadership perspective. Holmstrom has won the Stanley Cup four times and is tied for 34th among NHL players with 180 playoff games played.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 18
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)