Jun 1, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Tomas Holmstrom and Nicklas Lidstrom are good friends. They’ve both spent their entire careers with the Detroit Red Wings and they were both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents this summer. However, Lidstrom has announced his retirement and now the question is if Holmstrom will do the same.
“Some days I feel like yes (I’ll return), and some days no, and some days it’s just aches and pain,” said Holmstrom.
The situation with Holmstrom is significantly different than it was with Lidstrom. Holmstrom was never a superstar and he’s not coming off of a strong season. In fact, he got just 24 points in 74 games last season while averaging 11:52 minutes per contest. Additionally, even if Holmstrom wants to return, there’s a chance that there might not still be a spot for him in their lineup.
Still, losing Holmstrom on top of Lidstrom could make the transition even harder from a veteran leadership perspective. Holmstrom has won the Stanley Cup four times and is tied for 34th among NHL players with 180 playoff games played.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)