Jun 1, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Tomas Holmstrom and Nicklas Lidstrom are good friends. They’ve both spent their entire careers with the Detroit Red Wings and they were both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents this summer. However, Lidstrom has announced his retirement and now the question is if Holmstrom will do the same.
“Some days I feel like yes (I’ll return), and some days no, and some days it’s just aches and pain,” said Holmstrom.
The situation with Holmstrom is significantly different than it was with Lidstrom. Holmstrom was never a superstar and he’s not coming off of a strong season. In fact, he got just 24 points in 74 games last season while averaging 11:52 minutes per contest. Additionally, even if Holmstrom wants to return, there’s a chance that there might not still be a spot for him in their lineup.
Still, losing Holmstrom on top of Lidstrom could make the transition even harder from a veteran leadership perspective. Holmstrom has won the Stanley Cup four times and is tied for 34th among NHL players with 180 playoff games played.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)