Jun 1, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Tomas Holmstrom and Nicklas Lidstrom are good friends. They’ve both spent their entire careers with the Detroit Red Wings and they were both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents this summer. However, Lidstrom has announced his retirement and now the question is if Holmstrom will do the same.
“Some days I feel like yes (I’ll return), and some days no, and some days it’s just aches and pain,” said Holmstrom.
The situation with Holmstrom is significantly different than it was with Lidstrom. Holmstrom was never a superstar and he’s not coming off of a strong season. In fact, he got just 24 points in 74 games last season while averaging 11:52 minutes per contest. Additionally, even if Holmstrom wants to return, there’s a chance that there might not still be a spot for him in their lineup.
Still, losing Holmstrom on top of Lidstrom could make the transition even harder from a veteran leadership perspective. Holmstrom has won the Stanley Cup four times and is tied for 34th among NHL players with 180 playoff games played.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 1
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 15
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 37
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)