Jun 1, 2012, 8:53 PM EST
If you want to get up to date on all the angles regarding the surprising revelation out of Boston, you should check out CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty’s video on the matter:
The Bruins’ first order of business should be re-signing Tuukka Rask, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer. Assuming they do that – and they should be able to sign Rask without incident – then they will be fine from a goaltending perspective. Rask has been a superb backup for three years, he was a highly regarded prospect before that, and at the age of 25, he’s ready to take the next step.
So the biggest question isn’t if the Bruins can survive without Thomas, it’s how bad would his $5 million cap hit hurt them. According to capgeek.com, they have $60,327,976 in cap space tied up to 19 players, including Thomas and Marc Savard – the latter of which will probably end up on the long-term injured reserve list. So they do still have some breathing room if the cap goes up to $70.3 million as projected.
The problem is that the new CBA might bring the cap down, which could create some headaches for the Bruins. Even if it doesn’t, this issue might be cause enough for Boston to avoid making any major acquisitions this summer unless they’re willing to get creative.
One way around this problem – if Thomas decides not to play – is to trade him to a team that’s struggling to reach the cap floor. Of course, if Thomas has made it clear by that point that he doesn’t want to play, then the Bruins aren’t likely to get anything of note in return unless Thomas is included in a much bigger deal.
At any rate, this is one potential problem that not many people would have predicted that the Bruins would have just a few weeks ago.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4