Jun 1, 2012, 6:15 PM EST
Scoring first is always important, but it might matter even more in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals. New Jersey and the Los Angeles Kings are a combined 16-3 in the playoffs when scoring first.
Of course, you’d be hard pressed to find a scenario that the Kings haven’t excelled in during their postseason run, but the Devils are just 4-5 in the playoffs after surrendering the first goal.
It goes beyond that though. Both of these teams have been exceptionally good at protecting a lead in the playoffs. The Devils and Kings have only lost a combined three games when leading after 20 minutes. They also have a perfect record in games where they’ve led after 40 minutes.
After a weak start in Game 1 on Wednesday – and really just a subpar showing overall – the New Jersey Devils are expected to put some extra emphasis on starting out strong on Saturday. Of course, the Los Angeles Kings will attempt to do the same.
“We’ve been focusing on starts, and our starts have been pretty good, getting the first goal,” Anze Kopitar said. “It’s easier when you’re not playing catch-up hockey, and obviously everybody knows that. It’s easier with the lead.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)