Jun 1, 2012, 10:56 AM EST
While there’s no set report on how long the procedure will keep Gaborik out for, a report from the University of Maryland’s Orthopaedics Department (Shoulder and Elbow Program) says it takes approximately six months for rotator cuff surgery patients to regain 80 percent of strength with studies showing “gains in strength continue over a two-year time period.”
The rumor of Gaborik suffering a shoulder injury early in the playoffs came up a few days ago, with the Slovakian sniper quickly shooting it down.
“I don’t want to talk about it,” he said. “I’ll know in a few days.”
Gaborik struggled mightily this postseason after leading the Rangers with 41 goals during the regular season. He had just five goals in 20 playoff games and registered just one point (and a minus-2 rating) in the Eastern Conference finals against New Jersey.
This tough blow is made even more difficult by the fact Gaborik’s coming off one of the healthiest stretches of his career. He participated in all 82 games for the first time in his 11 NHL seasons and finally seemed to have gotten over the myriad of injuries that had him miss 147 games since the lockout.
Should Gaborik project to miss an extended period of time, don’t be surprised if New York re-ignites the Rick Nash trade talks.
UPDATE: Brooks reports Gaborik had an MRI on Tuesday and will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 56
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (160)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)