Jun 1, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
While there’s no set report on how long the procedure will keep Gaborik out for, a report from the University of Maryland’s Orthopaedics Department (Shoulder and Elbow Program) says it takes approximately six months for rotator cuff surgery patients to regain 80 percent of strength with studies showing “gains in strength continue over a two-year time period.”
The rumor of Gaborik suffering a shoulder injury early in the playoffs came up a few days ago, with the Slovakian sniper quickly shooting it down.
“I don’t want to talk about it,” he said. “I’ll know in a few days.”
Gaborik struggled mightily this postseason after leading the Rangers with 41 goals during the regular season. He had just five goals in 20 playoff games and registered just one point (and a minus-2 rating) in the Eastern Conference finals against New Jersey.
This tough blow is made even more difficult by the fact Gaborik’s coming off one of the healthiest stretches of his career. He participated in all 82 games for the first time in his 11 NHL seasons and finally seemed to have gotten over the myriad of injuries that had him miss 147 games since the lockout.
Should Gaborik project to miss an extended period of time, don’t be surprised if New York re-ignites the Rick Nash trade talks.
UPDATE: Brooks reports Gaborik had an MRI on Tuesday and will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)