Jun 1, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
While there’s no set report on how long the procedure will keep Gaborik out for, a report from the University of Maryland’s Orthopaedics Department (Shoulder and Elbow Program) says it takes approximately six months for rotator cuff surgery patients to regain 80 percent of strength with studies showing “gains in strength continue over a two-year time period.”
The rumor of Gaborik suffering a shoulder injury early in the playoffs came up a few days ago, with the Slovakian sniper quickly shooting it down.
“I don’t want to talk about it,” he said. “I’ll know in a few days.”
Gaborik struggled mightily this postseason after leading the Rangers with 41 goals during the regular season. He had just five goals in 20 playoff games and registered just one point (and a minus-2 rating) in the Eastern Conference finals against New Jersey.
This tough blow is made even more difficult by the fact Gaborik’s coming off one of the healthiest stretches of his career. He participated in all 82 games for the first time in his 11 NHL seasons and finally seemed to have gotten over the myriad of injuries that had him miss 147 games since the lockout.
Should Gaborik project to miss an extended period of time, don’t be surprised if New York re-ignites the Rick Nash trade talks.
UPDATE: Brooks reports Gaborik had an MRI on Tuesday and will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 1
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 27
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)