Jun 1, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
While there’s no set report on how long the procedure will keep Gaborik out for, a report from the University of Maryland’s Orthopaedics Department (Shoulder and Elbow Program) says it takes approximately six months for rotator cuff surgery patients to regain 80 percent of strength with studies showing “gains in strength continue over a two-year time period.”
The rumor of Gaborik suffering a shoulder injury early in the playoffs came up a few days ago, with the Slovakian sniper quickly shooting it down.
“I don’t want to talk about it,” he said. “I’ll know in a few days.”
Gaborik struggled mightily this postseason after leading the Rangers with 41 goals during the regular season. He had just five goals in 20 playoff games and registered just one point (and a minus-2 rating) in the Eastern Conference finals against New Jersey.
This tough blow is made even more difficult by the fact Gaborik’s coming off one of the healthiest stretches of his career. He participated in all 82 games for the first time in his 11 NHL seasons and finally seemed to have gotten over the myriad of injuries that had him miss 147 games since the lockout.
Should Gaborik project to miss an extended period of time, don’t be surprised if New York re-ignites the Rick Nash trade talks.
UPDATE: Brooks reports Gaborik had an MRI on Tuesday and will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)