Jun 1, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
While there’s no set report on how long the procedure will keep Gaborik out for, a report from the University of Maryland’s Orthopaedics Department (Shoulder and Elbow Program) says it takes approximately six months for rotator cuff surgery patients to regain 80 percent of strength with studies showing “gains in strength continue over a two-year time period.”
The rumor of Gaborik suffering a shoulder injury early in the playoffs came up a few days ago, with the Slovakian sniper quickly shooting it down.
“I don’t want to talk about it,” he said. “I’ll know in a few days.”
Gaborik struggled mightily this postseason after leading the Rangers with 41 goals during the regular season. He had just five goals in 20 playoff games and registered just one point (and a minus-2 rating) in the Eastern Conference finals against New Jersey.
This tough blow is made even more difficult by the fact Gaborik’s coming off one of the healthiest stretches of his career. He participated in all 82 games for the first time in his 11 NHL seasons and finally seemed to have gotten over the myriad of injuries that had him miss 147 games since the lockout.
Should Gaborik project to miss an extended period of time, don’t be surprised if New York re-ignites the Rick Nash trade talks.
UPDATE: Brooks reports Gaborik had an MRI on Tuesday and will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)