Jun 1, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
According to the Boston Herald, prosecutors have dropped rape charges against former Boston University player and Detroit Red Wings draft pick Max Nicastro.
Nicastro, taken in the third round (91st overall) in 2008, was arrested in February for allegedly raping a female student on campus. He later pled not guilty to two counts of rape; BU released a statement thereafter saying Nicastro was no longer enrolled at the school.
“I’m just happy it’s done,” the Thousand Oaks, Calif., native said. “My friends and family have been with me the whole time.”
His attorney, Hugh Curran, said NiCastro maintained his innocence throughout the case, but noted “there are no winners” in difficult cases like these.
“I asked everybody to keep an open mind and let the experts do a thorough investigation,” Curran said in a brief interview outside the courthouse. “And that’s what they did. They spent four months, interviewed witnesses, examined all the evidence and declined to prosecute, which speaks volumes.”
The Nicastro incident came at a time when the Terriers hockey team was already under scrutiny. Previously, BU’s leading scorer — Corey Trivino, a second-round pick of the Islanders in 2008 — was arrested in December on numerous charges after he allegedly broke into a woman’s room at night.
Trivino plead not guilty to the charges, but was thrown off the team.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63