Parise on disallowed goal: “You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it”
Jun 1, 2012, 11:11 PM EDT
For a moment in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, it looked like the New Jersey Devils had taken a 2-1 series lead. However, referee Dan O’Halloran waved it off and the video replayed showed that Parise had knocked it in with his hand. If you missed it, you can check out the replay below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
On Friday, Parise went into detail about the play.
“You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it,” Parise said. “I had the first shot and then I don’t really remember exactly what happened after that. I just remember the puck was starting to go behind the net, so I grabbed it and tried to keep it in front, keep it in play and then I couldn’t get my stick to the puck anymore so I don’t know, hopefully bank it off one of them or something. I don’t know if it would have counted or not (if it banked off someone). I was just trying to keep it alive, I guess. I couldn’t get my stick to it anymore, so it was kind of a dead play for me.”
Parise ended the game with a minus-two rating and no points. The Devils went on to lose in overtime, putting them in a very bad position. 76% of Game 1 winners in best-of-seven Stanley Cup finals have gone on to hoist the Cup.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)