Parise on disallowed goal: “You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it”
Jun 1, 2012, 11:11 PM EDT
For a moment in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, it looked like the New Jersey Devils had taken a 2-1 series lead. However, referee Dan O’Halloran waved it off and the video replayed showed that Parise had knocked it in with his hand. If you missed it, you can check out the replay below:
On Friday, Parise went into detail about the play.
“You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it,” Parise said. “I had the first shot and then I don’t really remember exactly what happened after that. I just remember the puck was starting to go behind the net, so I grabbed it and tried to keep it in front, keep it in play and then I couldn’t get my stick to the puck anymore so I don’t know, hopefully bank it off one of them or something. I don’t know if it would have counted or not (if it banked off someone). I was just trying to keep it alive, I guess. I couldn’t get my stick to it anymore, so it was kind of a dead play for me.”
Parise ended the game with a minus-two rating and no points. The Devils went on to lose in overtime, putting them in a very bad position. 76% of Game 1 winners in best-of-seven Stanley Cup finals have gone on to hoist the Cup.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 7
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 31
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 54
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 83
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut