Parise on disallowed goal: “You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it”
Jun 1, 2012, 11:11 PM EDT
For a moment in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, it looked like the New Jersey Devils had taken a 2-1 series lead. However, referee Dan O’Halloran waved it off and the video replayed showed that Parise had knocked it in with his hand. If you missed it, you can check out the replay below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
On Friday, Parise went into detail about the play.
“You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it,” Parise said. “I had the first shot and then I don’t really remember exactly what happened after that. I just remember the puck was starting to go behind the net, so I grabbed it and tried to keep it in front, keep it in play and then I couldn’t get my stick to the puck anymore so I don’t know, hopefully bank it off one of them or something. I don’t know if it would have counted or not (if it banked off someone). I was just trying to keep it alive, I guess. I couldn’t get my stick to it anymore, so it was kind of a dead play for me.”
Parise ended the game with a minus-two rating and no points. The Devils went on to lose in overtime, putting them in a very bad position. 76% of Game 1 winners in best-of-seven Stanley Cup finals have gone on to hoist the Cup.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 2
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 66
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)