Parise on disallowed goal: “You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it”
Jun 1, 2012, 11:11 PM EST
For a moment in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, it looked like the New Jersey Devils had taken a 2-1 series lead. However, referee Dan O’Halloran waved it off and the video replayed showed that Parise had knocked it in with his hand. If you missed it, you can check out the replay below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
On Friday, Parise went into detail about the play.
“You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it,” Parise said. “I had the first shot and then I don’t really remember exactly what happened after that. I just remember the puck was starting to go behind the net, so I grabbed it and tried to keep it in front, keep it in play and then I couldn’t get my stick to the puck anymore so I don’t know, hopefully bank it off one of them or something. I don’t know if it would have counted or not (if it banked off someone). I was just trying to keep it alive, I guess. I couldn’t get my stick to it anymore, so it was kind of a dead play for me.”
Parise ended the game with a minus-two rating and no points. The Devils went on to lose in overtime, putting them in a very bad position. 76% of Game 1 winners in best-of-seven Stanley Cup finals have gone on to hoist the Cup.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 0
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)