Parise on disallowed goal: “You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it”
Jun 1, 2012, 11:11 PM EDT
For a moment in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, it looked like the New Jersey Devils had taken a 2-1 series lead. However, referee Dan O’Halloran waved it off and the video replayed showed that Parise had knocked it in with his hand. If you missed it, you can check out the replay below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
On Friday, Parise went into detail about the play.
“You hope the cameras are off for a second and the video review didn’t catch it,” Parise said. “I had the first shot and then I don’t really remember exactly what happened after that. I just remember the puck was starting to go behind the net, so I grabbed it and tried to keep it in front, keep it in play and then I couldn’t get my stick to the puck anymore so I don’t know, hopefully bank it off one of them or something. I don’t know if it would have counted or not (if it banked off someone). I was just trying to keep it alive, I guess. I couldn’t get my stick to it anymore, so it was kind of a dead play for me.”
Parise ended the game with a minus-two rating and no points. The Devils went on to lose in overtime, putting them in a very bad position. 76% of Game 1 winners in best-of-seven Stanley Cup finals have gone on to hoist the Cup.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 7
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9