Jun 1, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
One of the most famous families in NHL history continued its legacy on Friday as Brody Sutter — son of former NHLer Duane Sutter — signed an entry-level deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Brody had a good final year of junior hockey, and played well in Charlotte to finish the season,” said Hurricanes director of hockey operations Ron Francis in a statement. “He’s a big body and has shown an ability to produce offensively.”
With the signing, Brody became the third Sutter in the ‘Canes organization, joining cousin Brandon (son of Brent) and Brett (son of Darryl).
All told, he’s the ninth Sutter set to play in the NHL.
The first was Brian, who debuted with St. Louis in 1977 and later went on to coach with the Blues, Bruins, Flames and Blackhawks. He’s the most experienced coach in the family.
Next up? Duane, who started out with the Islanders in 1980 and won four Stanley Cups. As such, he’s got bragging rights.
Following Duane was Darryl, who spent his entire career with the Blackhawks and is now coaching in the Stanley Cup finals with LA.
After Darryl came Brent, who was a teammate of Duane’s on Long Island (winning two Cups). Brent recently left his head coaching post in Calgary, now rumored for the vacant Edmonton gig.
Then came the twins, Rich and Ron. Ron has the honor of being the highest draft pick of the family (fourth overall, 1982) while Rich is the only brother to have neither played nor worked for the Calgary Flames.
Interestingly enough, both Brett and Brandon made their NHL debuts in 2008.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)