Jun 1, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
One of the most famous families in NHL history continued its legacy on Friday as Brody Sutter — son of former NHLer Duane Sutter — signed an entry-level deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Brody had a good final year of junior hockey, and played well in Charlotte to finish the season,” said Hurricanes director of hockey operations Ron Francis in a statement. “He’s a big body and has shown an ability to produce offensively.”
With the signing, Brody became the third Sutter in the ‘Canes organization, joining cousin Brandon (son of Brent) and Brett (son of Darryl).
All told, he’s the ninth Sutter set to play in the NHL.
The first was Brian, who debuted with St. Louis in 1977 and later went on to coach with the Blues, Bruins, Flames and Blackhawks. He’s the most experienced coach in the family.
Next up? Duane, who started out with the Islanders in 1980 and won four Stanley Cups. As such, he’s got bragging rights.
Following Duane was Darryl, who spent his entire career with the Blackhawks and is now coaching in the Stanley Cup finals with LA.
After Darryl came Brent, who was a teammate of Duane’s on Long Island (winning two Cups). Brent recently left his head coaching post in Calgary, now rumored for the vacant Edmonton gig.
Then came the twins, Rich and Ron. Ron has the honor of being the highest draft pick of the family (fourth overall, 1982) while Rich is the only brother to have neither played nor worked for the Calgary Flames.
Interestingly enough, both Brett and Brandon made their NHL debuts in 2008.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)