Jun 1, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
One of the most famous families in NHL history continued its legacy on Friday as Brody Sutter — son of former NHLer Duane Sutter — signed an entry-level deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Brody had a good final year of junior hockey, and played well in Charlotte to finish the season,” said Hurricanes director of hockey operations Ron Francis in a statement. “He’s a big body and has shown an ability to produce offensively.”
With the signing, Brody became the third Sutter in the ‘Canes organization, joining cousin Brandon (son of Brent) and Brett (son of Darryl).
All told, he’s the ninth Sutter set to play in the NHL.
The first was Brian, who debuted with St. Louis in 1977 and later went on to coach with the Blues, Bruins, Flames and Blackhawks. He’s the most experienced coach in the family.
Next up? Duane, who started out with the Islanders in 1980 and won four Stanley Cups. As such, he’s got bragging rights.
Following Duane was Darryl, who spent his entire career with the Blackhawks and is now coaching in the Stanley Cup finals with LA.
After Darryl came Brent, who was a teammate of Duane’s on Long Island (winning two Cups). Brent recently left his head coaching post in Calgary, now rumored for the vacant Edmonton gig.
Then came the twins, Rich and Ron. Ron has the honor of being the highest draft pick of the family (fourth overall, 1982) while Rich is the only brother to have neither played nor worked for the Calgary Flames.
Interestingly enough, both Brett and Brandon made their NHL debuts in 2008.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)