Jun 1, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
One of the most famous families in NHL history continued its legacy on Friday as Brody Sutter — son of former NHLer Duane Sutter — signed an entry-level deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Brody had a good final year of junior hockey, and played well in Charlotte to finish the season,” said Hurricanes director of hockey operations Ron Francis in a statement. “He’s a big body and has shown an ability to produce offensively.”
With the signing, Brody became the third Sutter in the ‘Canes organization, joining cousin Brandon (son of Brent) and Brett (son of Darryl).
All told, he’s the ninth Sutter set to play in the NHL.
The first was Brian, who debuted with St. Louis in 1977 and later went on to coach with the Blues, Bruins, Flames and Blackhawks. He’s the most experienced coach in the family.
Next up? Duane, who started out with the Islanders in 1980 and won four Stanley Cups. As such, he’s got bragging rights.
Following Duane was Darryl, who spent his entire career with the Blackhawks and is now coaching in the Stanley Cup finals with LA.
After Darryl came Brent, who was a teammate of Duane’s on Long Island (winning two Cups). Brent recently left his head coaching post in Calgary, now rumored for the vacant Edmonton gig.
Then came the twins, Rich and Ron. Ron has the honor of being the highest draft pick of the family (fourth overall, 1982) while Rich is the only brother to have neither played nor worked for the Calgary Flames.
Interestingly enough, both Brett and Brandon made their NHL debuts in 2008.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)