Jun 1, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
One of the most famous families in NHL history continued its legacy on Friday as Brody Sutter — son of former NHLer Duane Sutter — signed an entry-level deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.
“Brody had a good final year of junior hockey, and played well in Charlotte to finish the season,” said Hurricanes director of hockey operations Ron Francis in a statement. “He’s a big body and has shown an ability to produce offensively.”
With the signing, Brody became the third Sutter in the ‘Canes organization, joining cousin Brandon (son of Brent) and Brett (son of Darryl).
All told, he’s the ninth Sutter set to play in the NHL.
The first was Brian, who debuted with St. Louis in 1977 and later went on to coach with the Blues, Bruins, Flames and Blackhawks. He’s the most experienced coach in the family.
Next up? Duane, who started out with the Islanders in 1980 and won four Stanley Cups. As such, he’s got bragging rights.
Following Duane was Darryl, who spent his entire career with the Blackhawks and is now coaching in the Stanley Cup finals with LA.
After Darryl came Brent, who was a teammate of Duane’s on Long Island (winning two Cups). Brent recently left his head coaching post in Calgary, now rumored for the vacant Edmonton gig.
Then came the twins, Rich and Ron. Ron has the honor of being the highest draft pick of the family (fourth overall, 1982) while Rich is the only brother to have neither played nor worked for the Calgary Flames.
Interestingly enough, both Brett and Brandon made their NHL debuts in 2008.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)