Jun 1, 2012, 8:56 AM EDT
They’re enemies today, but Zach Parise might end up playing for the Los Angeles Kings next season. Although it’s certainly far from a sure thing, the Kings think they can make a run for Parise, according to Pierre LeBrun’s sources.
Strictly speaking, the Kings should have the salary cap space for it, especially if the cap rises to $70.3 million, as some reports suggest it might. However, what the salary cap will actually end up being will be determined by the next CBA, which might not be decided upon until after July 1. In other words, spending up to the cap now might have consequences later.
In addition to that, the Kings need to keep some cap space free because Jonathan Quick is set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013. He currently comes with a $1.8 million annual cap hit, but he’ll get a substantial raise with his next contract. Although Jonathan Bernier certainly has the potential to become a great starter, re-signing Quick will probably be one of their top priorities.
If we ignore all that, there are still plenty of other teams that will be interested in Parise’s services and that list will likely include the Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings, and New York Rangers – and of course all this speculation will be moot if the New Jersey Devils manage to re-sign him. Still, even with all that considered, the Kings shouldn’t be ruled out as a possible destination for Parise if he hits the free agent market.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)