Jun 1, 2012, 5:37 PM EST
The Slovakian sniper refused to use the injury as the reason for his poor playoff production, but admitted he felt the effects.
“It was there,” Gaborik said. “I know I could play better. I don’t think it affected me that much. It was just weak. During the game, the adrenaline kicks in and everything goes to the side. Shooting, my shot wasn’t there, obviously, but I don’t want to make excuses.”
He described the injury as “frustrating” and it’s likely the reason his goal production plummeted. After scoring 41 times in the regular season, Gaborik found the back of the net just five times in 20 playoff games — dropping his goals per game ratio from .50 to .25.
As for a timeline, Gaborik will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia. The sixth month recovery window projects his return to be sometime in early December, but he is hoping to be back on the ice before that.
“I’m going to try everything to be back before [six months], right around five months,” Gaborik said. “But I’m going to be smart about it, see how everything is going to go, when it feels better. Obviously, I’m frustrated. I was hoping for a better report from the doctors.
“It is frustrating. It is what it is. I just have to focus on getting back healthy and being ready.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)