Jun 1, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
The Slovakian sniper refused to use the injury as the reason for his poor playoff production, but admitted he felt the effects.
“It was there,” Gaborik said. “I know I could play better. I don’t think it affected me that much. It was just weak. During the game, the adrenaline kicks in and everything goes to the side. Shooting, my shot wasn’t there, obviously, but I don’t want to make excuses.”
He described the injury as “frustrating” and it’s likely the reason his goal production plummeted. After scoring 41 times in the regular season, Gaborik found the back of the net just five times in 20 playoff games — dropping his goals per game ratio from .50 to .25.
As for a timeline, Gaborik will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia. The sixth month recovery window projects his return to be sometime in early December, but he is hoping to be back on the ice before that.
“I’m going to try everything to be back before [six months], right around five months,” Gaborik said. “But I’m going to be smart about it, see how everything is going to go, when it feels better. Obviously, I’m frustrated. I was hoping for a better report from the doctors.
“It is frustrating. It is what it is. I just have to focus on getting back healthy and being ready.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)