Jun 1, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
The Slovakian sniper refused to use the injury as the reason for his poor playoff production, but admitted he felt the effects.
“It was there,” Gaborik said. “I know I could play better. I don’t think it affected me that much. It was just weak. During the game, the adrenaline kicks in and everything goes to the side. Shooting, my shot wasn’t there, obviously, but I don’t want to make excuses.”
He described the injury as “frustrating” and it’s likely the reason his goal production plummeted. After scoring 41 times in the regular season, Gaborik found the back of the net just five times in 20 playoff games — dropping his goals per game ratio from .50 to .25.
As for a timeline, Gaborik will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia. The sixth month recovery window projects his return to be sometime in early December, but he is hoping to be back on the ice before that.
“I’m going to try everything to be back before [six months], right around five months,” Gaborik said. “But I’m going to be smart about it, see how everything is going to go, when it feels better. Obviously, I’m frustrated. I was hoping for a better report from the doctors.
“It is frustrating. It is what it is. I just have to focus on getting back healthy and being ready.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)