Jun 1, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
The Slovakian sniper refused to use the injury as the reason for his poor playoff production, but admitted he felt the effects.
“It was there,” Gaborik said. “I know I could play better. I don’t think it affected me that much. It was just weak. During the game, the adrenaline kicks in and everything goes to the side. Shooting, my shot wasn’t there, obviously, but I don’t want to make excuses.”
He described the injury as “frustrating” and it’s likely the reason his goal production plummeted. After scoring 41 times in the regular season, Gaborik found the back of the net just five times in 20 playoff games — dropping his goals per game ratio from .50 to .25.
As for a timeline, Gaborik will undergo surgery in New York next week after returning from his native Slovakia. The sixth month recovery window projects his return to be sometime in early December, but he is hoping to be back on the ice before that.
“I’m going to try everything to be back before [six months], right around five months,” Gaborik said. “But I’m going to be smart about it, see how everything is going to go, when it feels better. Obviously, I’m frustrated. I was hoping for a better report from the doctors.
“It is frustrating. It is what it is. I just have to focus on getting back healthy and being ready.”
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)