Jun 1, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
Colin Fraser isn’t a star player by any stretch of the imagination, but he is a solid depth forward. As much as you need your stars to lead you in the postseason, they can’t carry a team all the way to the Stanley Cup finals on their own.
When talking about the similarities between the Los Angeles Kings and the team Fraser won the Stanley Cup with, the 2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks, it’s not surprising that he put an emphasis on both of those squads’ depth.
“Both teams had a lot of depth. Me and (Adam) Burish were sitting out the last game of the year in Chicago, and now we’re regulars on our (respective) teams,” Fraser said. “You need depth, because when guys get hurt or aren’t pulling their weight or whatever, someone else needs to step in.”
When Chicago had cap problems following their Stanley Cup run, they decided to keep their core intact, but shed several of their support players. They have lost in the first round of the playoffs in their subsequent two campaigns.
When Fraser scored in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, it was just another example of how deep this Kings team really is. Every forward that has played at least 10 games in the 2012 playoffs has found the back of the net at least once during the postseason. Naturally, the same is true of their opponent, the New Jersey Devils.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)