Jun 1, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
Coyotes GM Don Maloney likes the chances of former Sharks executive Greg Jamison buying the Phoenix Coyotes in the not too distant future.
“The National Hockey League is still running the team until there is a closing,” Maloney said, “but certainly we’re all very optimistic it will get done. It may not close until later in the off-season, but that’s fine.”
Jamison and the city of Glendale are working to come to a building management agreement. After that, Jamison will raise the remainder of the equity needed to purchase the team.
Of course, he could run into issues between now and then. On Wednesday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman couldn’t say with 100% certainty that the team would still be in Glendale at the start of the 2012-13 season.
All the same, Maloney is working towards the possibility of Jamison buying the team. The two are scheduled to meet next week to discuss next season’s budget. They also plan to devise a strategy for re-signing key coaches and players, including captain Shane Doan.
“I feel we can sign him tomorrow,” Maloney said, “but right now, we have a matter with our own team that needs to get resolved.”
Doan would be one of the better free agents on the market if he decides to test the waters.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 12
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (56)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)