Jun 1, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Coyotes GM Don Maloney likes the chances of former Sharks executive Greg Jamison buying the Phoenix Coyotes in the not too distant future.
“The National Hockey League is still running the team until there is a closing,” Maloney said, “but certainly we’re all very optimistic it will get done. It may not close until later in the off-season, but that’s fine.”
Jamison and the city of Glendale are working to come to a building management agreement. After that, Jamison will raise the remainder of the equity needed to purchase the team.
Of course, he could run into issues between now and then. On Wednesday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman couldn’t say with 100% certainty that the team would still be in Glendale at the start of the 2012-13 season.
All the same, Maloney is working towards the possibility of Jamison buying the team. The two are scheduled to meet next week to discuss next season’s budget. They also plan to devise a strategy for re-signing key coaches and players, including captain Shane Doan.
“I feel we can sign him tomorrow,” Maloney said, “but right now, we have a matter with our own team that needs to get resolved.”
Doan would be one of the better free agents on the market if he decides to test the waters.
- Weber’s shot leaves Sens’ Ceci, Anderson reeling 3
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 17
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)