Jun 1, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
Coyotes GM Don Maloney likes the chances of former Sharks executive Greg Jamison buying the Phoenix Coyotes in the not too distant future.
“The National Hockey League is still running the team until there is a closing,” Maloney said, “but certainly we’re all very optimistic it will get done. It may not close until later in the off-season, but that’s fine.”
Jamison and the city of Glendale are working to come to a building management agreement. After that, Jamison will raise the remainder of the equity needed to purchase the team.
Of course, he could run into issues between now and then. On Wednesday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman couldn’t say with 100% certainty that the team would still be in Glendale at the start of the 2012-13 season.
All the same, Maloney is working towards the possibility of Jamison buying the team. The two are scheduled to meet next week to discuss next season’s budget. They also plan to devise a strategy for re-signing key coaches and players, including captain Shane Doan.
“I feel we can sign him tomorrow,” Maloney said, “but right now, we have a matter with our own team that needs to get resolved.”
Doan would be one of the better free agents on the market if he decides to test the waters.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 1
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)