Jun 1, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Coyotes GM Don Maloney likes the chances of former Sharks executive Greg Jamison buying the Phoenix Coyotes in the not too distant future.
“The National Hockey League is still running the team until there is a closing,” Maloney said, “but certainly we’re all very optimistic it will get done. It may not close until later in the off-season, but that’s fine.”
Jamison and the city of Glendale are working to come to a building management agreement. After that, Jamison will raise the remainder of the equity needed to purchase the team.
Of course, he could run into issues between now and then. On Wednesday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman couldn’t say with 100% certainty that the team would still be in Glendale at the start of the 2012-13 season.
All the same, Maloney is working towards the possibility of Jamison buying the team. The two are scheduled to meet next week to discuss next season’s budget. They also plan to devise a strategy for re-signing key coaches and players, including captain Shane Doan.
“I feel we can sign him tomorrow,” Maloney said, “but right now, we have a matter with our own team that needs to get resolved.”
Doan would be one of the better free agents on the market if he decides to test the waters.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)