Jun 1, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Coyotes GM Don Maloney likes the chances of former Sharks executive Greg Jamison buying the Phoenix Coyotes in the not too distant future.
“The National Hockey League is still running the team until there is a closing,” Maloney said, “but certainly we’re all very optimistic it will get done. It may not close until later in the off-season, but that’s fine.”
Jamison and the city of Glendale are working to come to a building management agreement. After that, Jamison will raise the remainder of the equity needed to purchase the team.
Of course, he could run into issues between now and then. On Wednesday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman couldn’t say with 100% certainty that the team would still be in Glendale at the start of the 2012-13 season.
All the same, Maloney is working towards the possibility of Jamison buying the team. The two are scheduled to meet next week to discuss next season’s budget. They also plan to devise a strategy for re-signing key coaches and players, including captain Shane Doan.
“I feel we can sign him tomorrow,” Maloney said, “but right now, we have a matter with our own team that needs to get resolved.”
Doan would be one of the better free agents on the market if he decides to test the waters.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)