Jun 1, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
For Peter Chiarelli, it’s a start.
Facing an offseason where he’ll need to re-up with key players like Gregory Campbell, Chris Kelly, Mike Mottau, Greg Zanon, Tuukka Rask and Benoit Pouliot, the Bruins GM started small on Friday by signing forwards Daniel Paille and Chris Bourque.
Paille, 28, signed a three-year, $3.9 million deal while Bourque inked a two-year, two-way deal with an NHL value of $550,000 for both seasons and a salary of $200,000 at the AHL level. It should be noted Bourque’s deal turns into a one-way in 2013-14.
The Paille signing shores up Boston’s fourth line, though Chiarelli might also lock up Paille’s fellow grinder, Campbell, to fill it out entirely. As CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty writes, Paille’s “biggest value is his skating speed, his tenacity and his toughness in all phases of the game while serving as a valued member of the penalty kill.”
For more on Bourque, click here.
Finally, it’s been reported that Chiarelli will hold a conference call this afternoon to discuss the Paille signing and, possibly, the rumors that Tim Thomas might be taking a year’s sabbatical.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup