May 31, 2012, 3:10 PM EST
According to ESPN, this promises to be an active offseason for the Minnesota Wild.
That’s what GM Chuck Fletcher indicated on Wednesday as he vowed to fix his organization’s lack of depth, something that played a role in Minnesota plummeting from first in the league to out of the playoffs last season.
Fletcher called the fall “incredibly tough and disappointing.”
“Clearly we’re going to have to try and add some more NHL talent,” Fletcher said. “Now whether it’s through free agency or through trades we’ll look at both.
“We do have a lot of cap space and a strong desire to get better.”
It’s expected highly touted draftees Mikael Granlund, Brett Bulmer, Jonas Brodin and Zack Phillips will all have a shot at making the opening night roster, though Fletcher told ESPN “obviously not all of those players will play in the NHL.”
As such, Fletcher will have to add “NHL talent” — especially in light of how reliant Minnesota was on AHL Houston last season.
The Wild dressed a franchise-high 47 players in 2011-12, due in large part to a rash of injuries.
Of Note: Minnesota will pick seventh overall at the Entry Draft, the highest it’s selected since taking Benoit Pouliot fourth overall in 2005.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)