May 31, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
This morning at Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement press conference, Red Wings GM Ken Holland said, “I’ve been dreading this day since I became manager in 1997.”
And you believed him when he said it. After all, how does one replace, as Holland put it, the “most valuable player of his era”?
Well, one doesn’t. But Holland still has to try.
Ryan Suter is usually the first candidate to come up. The 27-year-old Predators defenseman can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, and if he chooses to leave Nashville, Detroit is the most rumored destination.
However, if the Red Wings are interested in Suter, they won’t be the only team. In Philadelphia, the Flyers may be forced to move on without their own captain and Norris Trophy-winning defenseman, Chris Pronger. The 37-year-old suffered a serious concussion this season and there’s talk he could be forced to retire.
How important is Pronger to the Flyers? Shortly after they were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs, Flyers owner Ed Snider said if Pronger (and defenseman Andrej Meszaros) had been healthy, they “would have won the whole thing.”
Philly d-man Kimmo Timonen, 37, is also approaching the end of his career.
If Holland can’t get Suter, he could always inquire about Nashville’s other top defenseman, Shea Weber, who can become an unrestricted free agent the following summer. The Preds won’t let Weber, 26, walk away for free though.
Another option is Justin Schultz, the 21-year-old college star who can become unrestricted if he doesn’t sign with Anaheim, the team that drafted him in 2008.
There’s also 23-year-old Brendan Smith waiting in the wings.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)