May 31, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
The Stanley Cup finals kicked off on Wednesday and the New York Rangers weren’t part of it. That’s a fact that Rangers GM Glen Sather is struggling to put behind him.
“We just got knocked out a couple of days ago,” said Sather said. “It’s tough enough to go to bed at night and get up the next morning. You’ve got to adjust. It’s like having a death in the family.”
For the Rangers, the question now shifts to their summer plans. Ideally, they would love another top-tier scorer, like, say, Columbus’ Rick Nash, but that’s easier said than done though.
The problem isn’t if the Rangers have the trade chips to make something happen or if they can lure a star talent to New York. The issue is that the Rangers, according to cap geek, already have $49,183,334 committed to 15 players next season. That’s not including Wade Redden, who would come with a $6.5 million annual cap hit if he was allowed to return from the AHL.
The Rangers can certainly make a big splash and stay under the cap, but they might have to get a bit creative to do so. Of course, the availability of star talent will be another potential road block.
“I would like to have a 60-goal scorer, I’d like to have a defenseman that could play 25 minutes and get 25 goals, I’d like to have a goaltender that could be under one goal-against per game,” Sather said. “Those are wish lists that every team in this league would like to have. Realistically, there are some people that are going to be available, but they’re not available until July 1.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)