May 31, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Here’s CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty with more:
Thomas had established roots within the Boston community and the 38-year-old goalie seemed like the perfect candidate to remain in the Boston area after his playing career was over.
But Thomas’ future with the Bruins started to get a little cloudy when the White House brouhaha went down this year in January. Apparently, now the goaltender has lost that loving feeling for Boston.
His move to the more politically conservative state of Colorado might explain why Thomas has been so noncommittal when asked about retiring as a Bruin. He also wasn’t very forthcoming in declaring his happiness as a member of the Bruins organization after the team fell to the Washington Capitals in the first round of the playoffs this season.
According to one of the sources, Thomas, 38, might’ve pulled up stakes to move closer to Team USA’s headquarters in Colorado Springs, perhaps to work with the national program following his NHL career. But with all that occurred during the season, you have to wonder if he had other reasons to shuffle his wife and three young children halfway across the country while he was still in Boston. At the very least, perhaps his future plans were fast-tracked.
Thomas has one year left on his contract. His no-movement clause expires on July 1.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)