May 31, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Here’s CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty with more:
Thomas had established roots within the Boston community and the 38-year-old goalie seemed like the perfect candidate to remain in the Boston area after his playing career was over.
But Thomas’ future with the Bruins started to get a little cloudy when the White House brouhaha went down this year in January. Apparently, now the goaltender has lost that loving feeling for Boston.
His move to the more politically conservative state of Colorado might explain why Thomas has been so noncommittal when asked about retiring as a Bruin. He also wasn’t very forthcoming in declaring his happiness as a member of the Bruins organization after the team fell to the Washington Capitals in the first round of the playoffs this season.
According to one of the sources, Thomas, 38, might’ve pulled up stakes to move closer to Team USA’s headquarters in Colorado Springs, perhaps to work with the national program following his NHL career. But with all that occurred during the season, you have to wonder if he had other reasons to shuffle his wife and three young children halfway across the country while he was still in Boston. At the very least, perhaps his future plans were fast-tracked.
Thomas has one year left on his contract. His no-movement clause expires on July 1.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)