May 31, 2012, 11:08 AM EST
Here’s CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty with more:
Thomas had established roots within the Boston community and the 38-year-old goalie seemed like the perfect candidate to remain in the Boston area after his playing career was over.
But Thomas’ future with the Bruins started to get a little cloudy when the White House brouhaha went down this year in January. Apparently, now the goaltender has lost that loving feeling for Boston.
His move to the more politically conservative state of Colorado might explain why Thomas has been so noncommittal when asked about retiring as a Bruin. He also wasn’t very forthcoming in declaring his happiness as a member of the Bruins organization after the team fell to the Washington Capitals in the first round of the playoffs this season.
According to one of the sources, Thomas, 38, might’ve pulled up stakes to move closer to Team USA’s headquarters in Colorado Springs, perhaps to work with the national program following his NHL career. But with all that occurred during the season, you have to wonder if he had other reasons to shuffle his wife and three young children halfway across the country while he was still in Boston. At the very least, perhaps his future plans were fast-tracked.
Thomas has one year left on his contract. His no-movement clause expires on July 1.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 12
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 48
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)