May 31, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Here’s CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty with more:
Thomas had established roots within the Boston community and the 38-year-old goalie seemed like the perfect candidate to remain in the Boston area after his playing career was over.
But Thomas’ future with the Bruins started to get a little cloudy when the White House brouhaha went down this year in January. Apparently, now the goaltender has lost that loving feeling for Boston.
His move to the more politically conservative state of Colorado might explain why Thomas has been so noncommittal when asked about retiring as a Bruin. He also wasn’t very forthcoming in declaring his happiness as a member of the Bruins organization after the team fell to the Washington Capitals in the first round of the playoffs this season.
According to one of the sources, Thomas, 38, might’ve pulled up stakes to move closer to Team USA’s headquarters in Colorado Springs, perhaps to work with the national program following his NHL career. But with all that occurred during the season, you have to wonder if he had other reasons to shuffle his wife and three young children halfway across the country while he was still in Boston. At the very least, perhaps his future plans were fast-tracked.
Thomas has one year left on his contract. His no-movement clause expires on July 1.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)