May 31, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
With Tim Thomas‘ no-trade clause set to expire on July 1, rumors about the Boston Bruins moving the great (but aging) netminder keep building. (It doesn’t help when news surfaces that Thomas moved his family to Colorado.) Another rather strange possibility surfaced via Pierre LeBrun during a rumor-packed “Insider Trading” segment on TSN, though: Thomas might even consider sitting out the 2012-13 season entirely.
It’s hard to imagine such a scenario, especially since a) he’s not getting any younger at 38, b) it’s a contract year and c) he fought so hard to become an NHL regular – not to mention elite – in the first place.
That being said, LeBrun is correct in calling this past season a tumultuous one for Thomas. The unorthodox goalie has had a strange way of following up Vezina-winning campaigns with shaky encores; he was usurped by Tuukka Rask in 2009-10 and then dealt with the White House controversy this season.
Thomas would get a break from a tough year and some might point out that it would be a way of “sticking it” to the Bruins in the process. Even if he doesn’t play next season, his $5 million cap hit would take a chunk out of Boston’s budget because he has a 35+ contract (barring CBA changes, naturally). They wouldn’t actually be forced to pay Thomas that money, yet the Bruins wouldn’t be able to bolster their lineup with it either.
Again, this is far from confirmed, but it would add another huge wrinkle to a staggering falling-out between a Vezina, Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup-winning goalie and his team just a year after a dazzling peak.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
He’ll be in for the Kings when they host Buffalo tomorrow.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Having already sat out last night’s win over Philly.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
No word yet on a makeup date.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Anders Lee on his way up?
Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
He’ll join Norfolk on a PTO.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Senators still scheduled to host the Maple Leafs tonight.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Flyers-Blackhawks game.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“I think if the authorities act properly and do a complete investigation, they will have to find that charges are not warranted.”
Oct 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
With second division outfit EV Landshut.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It would have been an incredible goal.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Canucks coach Willie Desjardins fought against the idea that Dallas got lucky last night.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Maybe this is what Philadelphia needs.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Yes, there was a goaltender in net.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (55)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)