May 31, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
With Tim Thomas‘ no-trade clause set to expire on July 1, rumors about the Boston Bruins moving the great (but aging) netminder keep building. (It doesn’t help when news surfaces that Thomas moved his family to Colorado.) Another rather strange possibility surfaced via Pierre LeBrun during a rumor-packed “Insider Trading” segment on TSN, though: Thomas might even consider sitting out the 2012-13 season entirely.
It’s hard to imagine such a scenario, especially since a) he’s not getting any younger at 38, b) it’s a contract year and c) he fought so hard to become an NHL regular – not to mention elite – in the first place.
That being said, LeBrun is correct in calling this past season a tumultuous one for Thomas. The unorthodox goalie has had a strange way of following up Vezina-winning campaigns with shaky encores; he was usurped by Tuukka Rask in 2009-10 and then dealt with the White House controversy this season.
Thomas would get a break from a tough year and some might point out that it would be a way of “sticking it” to the Bruins in the process. Even if he doesn’t play next season, his $5 million cap hit would take a chunk out of Boston’s budget because he has a 35+ contract (barring CBA changes, naturally). They wouldn’t actually be forced to pay Thomas that money, yet the Bruins wouldn’t be able to bolster their lineup with it either.
Again, this is far from confirmed, but it would add another huge wrinkle to a staggering falling-out between a Vezina, Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup-winning goalie and his team just a year after a dazzling peak.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
It’s the first NHL game on NBCSN to surpass 4 million viewers.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
They beat the Syracuse Crunch in six games.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
“It’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now.”
Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
Things are getting dramatic in Philadelphia.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Coburn might be heading the other way.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
He also loves 2013 NHL Draft prospect Darnell Nurse.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him picked as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Stemming from his arrest in 2011.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Hey, he did take two weeks off.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL