May 31, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
In news first reported by Renaud Lavoie of RDS, the Calgary Flames have hired Bob Hartley to become the 15th coach in franchise history.
Hartley, 52, hasn’t coached in the NHL since being fired six games into the 2007-08 season by Atlanta. His resume boasts over 300 career victories, a .579 winning percentage and the 2001 Stanley Cup championship with Colorado.
Most recently, he led the ZSC Lions to the Swiss League championship.
According to Lavoie, Hartley has been in Calgary since Monday (yesterday, we reported he’d twice interview with GM Jay Feaster for the job) so he and the Flames could agree on compensation for his release from ZSC.
With that negotiation now out of the way, Hartley can get to the business of replacing Brent Sutter behind the Flames bench. There’s no shortage of tasks, and chief among them will be deciding who to select at No. 14 in June’s NHL Entry Draft.
It should be noted that Hartley and Feaster have an incredibly strong relationship. The pair worked together with the Hersey Bears team that won the 1997 Calder Cup and, according to the Minnesota Tribune’s Mike Russo, Hartley is also the godfather of Feaster’s youngest son, Ryan.
As for the ripple effect — Hartley was heavily rumored to be going to Montreal, so it whittles the Canadiens’ candidate list down by one. Expect to hear plenty of scuttlebutt around Marc Crawford and Michel Therrien in the coming days…
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)