May 31, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT
After an illustrious 20-year career, Detroit Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom has called it a day.
As such, conversations are underway to gauge where Lidstrom fits in various “best of” categories. The Hockey News selected him as the NHL’s best-ever European trained player; both The Sporting News and Sports Illustrated called him the best player of the last decade.
Soooo…where does Lidstrom rank among the best defensemen of all time? For argument’s sake, we’ve narrowed the field down to five candidates:
Resume: Seven Norris Trophies, four Stanley Cups, one Conn Smythe Trophy. Tenth all-time in games played, eighth all-time in plus-minus — and those are among all NHLers, not just defensemen.
Resume: Eight consecutive Norris Trophies, three consecutive Hart Trophies, two Stanley Cups, two-time Conn Smythe winner. Recorded nine hat-tricks, still an NHL record by for a defenseman.
Resume: 11 straight All-Star games, seven Norris Trophies, six Stanley Cups, played for 23 seasons.
Resume: Five Norris Trophies, one Stanley Cup, 13 NHL First Team All-Star nods (most in history), 19 All-Star games (most in history) and record-holder for most goals, assists and points by a defenseman.
Resume: Three Norris Trophies, four consecutive Stanley Cups, first defenseman to score 1,000 points, seven NHL All-Star teams.
Okay, go vote in the poll. There’s no option for write-in votes, so if you want to wax poetic about Larry Robinson or Rod Langway or Paul Coffey Borje Salming or Bullet Joe Simpson, you’ll have to do it in the comments section.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)